Green is back, help!

Thanks Kim
Water looks good, no green when brushed today ( yesterday cleaned lights).
Running filtration 24/7 and flushing solar heating and brushing and cleaning with dolphin robot.
Question, I have trouble determining the CYA end point. I get a range of 50-70 with same sample so is it better to assume 70 and target a FC of 28? That what I'm doing.
Also finding it hard to keep a FC 28 during the day as we are having warm sunny days. I'm adding liq chlorine as needed to keep FC 28. Hopefully tonight I will pass the OCLT.
Question, as I have had so much trouble with algae should I do a mustard algae treatment after my SLAM just to be sure?

CYA-I HATE this test LOL It is so hard. Here is what I do...........we call it the bar look!

-full sun light with back to sun and tube held at waist

-mix up water and test stuff making sure it is mixed good

-pour into tube GLANCE at it then look away, glance again. If you can still see the dot, add more mixture. GLANCE, then look away, glance again. Repeat as needed.

If you stare long enough you WILL see the dot LOL I found the "bar method" works for me.

Another person said they close one eye and does it that way. Find what works best for you. Is there anyone else in the house that can look also?

You can do and redo this test with the same mixture over and over if you want to practice. It is better to shoot for the higher value to be on the safe side.

It will not hurt a thing to dose for mustard algae as a last thing before you do the OCLT.

Kim

My TAYLOR K-2006C has arrived:whoot:
Before I post Taylor kit results I found with my OCLT I had last night FC 28 and next morning FC 29. Also my ph on controller down to 7.3 ?? Pool looks very clear today, no green on brushing walls.
Today at 12.30pm
Taylor kit result are
FC 29.5
pH 7
TA 30
CH 240
CYA 50 ( did it a few times with another person and got consistently about 50. I think it's the square tube makes it easier to look down??)
no salt test bummer ( has been around 4000) but will go to pool shop to test.

I've started to adjust TA will now aim for 60 today. Then adjust pH?

At CYA 50 I've overshot my target of FC 20 as I was aiming higher due to uncertain CYA, is that going to affect anything?
Thanks

Excellent Dippa on finally receiving your K2006C and it looks like your there. I bet that getting that algae out of the light niche would have made a big difference.

Your new reading on the CYA shouldn't affect OCLT as this is designed to give you a reading on the consumption of FC by organics in the absence of sunlight affecting your FC levels. If your not quite sure whether you are done or not do another OCLT tonight and see how you go.

Until you have completed your SLAM don't worry about trying to fix up the other levels and remember that your pH reading is not valid with FC over 10.

Dippa, how does the Taylor compare to the Clear Choice Labs tests? I'm interested as Clear Choice have announced a new bunch of test kits soon to be available and I was hoping a local Oz supplier could be an option. I did see your comment about the CYA test seeming easier with the Taylor tube, and I was a little uncertain about the CCL ph test as the comparator tube is in .5 increments.

Thanks

Hi Crmdgnly
Ive been away for 2 weeks and just saw your question. I Have found Nicole from Clear Choice Labs (CCL )great to deal with, very helpful. I have the Chlorine and CYA test kits. The chlorine test only does a 10ml sample and uses 0.5ppm increments. I suppose you can do a 25ml sample and use 0.2ppm increments just like Taylor kit.
I did find The CYA test more difficult with CCL tube but they now have a standard solution at 50ppm to use as a comparison to help you determine the endpoint of not seeing the dark dot, I'm getting mind sent this week to try.
I do like the Taylor's K2006c case. You can fit all you need in one place and its sturdy.
CCL is just starting and its packaging is simple but works well and so far I thinks it's a good option if you don't have access to a Taylor's Kit. CCL uses Taylor s reagent so should be reliable.
As I now have both for chlorine and CYA I will be testing my pool with both to see how the numbers stack up.
Will post the results.
Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How does the pool look? We're you treating the pool while you were away?

I left the pool as I finished the SLAM. I got my brother to check the pool when he could and do a FC each time. I also set the filter for 10hrs a day on high speed (usually 8hrs). Instructed him to brush when he could. It looked good when I got back. FC had dropped below my target 2 days before returning so I got my brother to put in 3lt of liq ch to bump up the FC just to be on the safe side.
Now will try to balance water and get SWG to the correct setting. I suspect I will just have to try and see.
Hoping that I have finally got rid of the green monster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.