When do those who live in the northeast open their pools?

We are in Indiana and we opened last weekend. We have a solar cover and that has raised our temp 10 degrees in 6 days, even with the rain we have been getting. My grandpa usually opened his pool on Mother's Day weekend, and most people in my area do as well.

Hello, I didn't want to start a new thread, but I checked my water temps today (in Missouri) and it is right at 50 degrees and is still covered. If I can't get it opened this weekend, is that still OK? This coming week temps will be in the 70's, pushing 80's by the weekend...so I may be cutting it close to the 60 degree mark.

Thanks

thenikeman said:
Hello, I didn't want to start a new thread, but I checked my water temps today (in Missouri) and it is right at 50 degrees and is still covered. If I can't get it opened this weekend, is that still OK? This coming week temps will be in the 70's, pushing 80's by the weekend...so I may be cutting it close to the 60 degree mark.

Thanks

Hmmm, We are north of you and our water has been 68-72 for 3+ weeks. We had a lot of algae, too.

buddywiser said:
Right after the oak trees make their annual mess all over my pool area....around mid-May. :wave:

It's a maple tree for us. Every gust of wind brings an army of "helicopters" down into the pool area. The frustrating part is that it is the neighbor's tree. Sure, it was there first, but there is no solace in that logic.

We live in Toronto which is quite cold, this year we opened the pool at around mid-April (ie. took the winter cover off and shocked the pool), and started the pump and the heater about one week after. Everything went well and we swam a few times already.

Live in western NJ. Don't open until first part of June usually. The primary reason is the electric bill - more than doubles even without the heat pump running. Didn't have to run the heat at all last year.
This year I'm going to open it myself (with some help from friends who open their own). The company who has been opening mine charges over $300 for a full opening with no problems.

By the time April rolls around, I can almost guarrenttee you my DH has the cover pulled off of our pool! I usually start it right up soon after so the water doesn't sit too long. I don't swim til June though! Too cold! Kids have been in alot though! :shock:

I live close to central New Hampshire (Concord area). I did something new this year. I took the pool cover off mid April and replaced it with the solar cover and we left for Florida. When we came back May 1st, the pool was 58.6 degrees considering last year it was about 46 at that time. I left it alone for 2 weeks and temp hit 65. Did a water test and most of the numbers seems good.. Crystal clear water. 2 days ago i fired up the Heater and now its 76.

My yard is heavily wooded around the perimeter, so springtime tree debris is a BIG problem for me. As soon as the last of the whirrly-birds, and the long pollen spores are done falling from my trees, I remove my cover, which is memorial day weekend. I start bringing up all my chemicals in early April while the water is still cold, and algae can't get started. My water is almost in perfect balance, crystal clear, and my pool temp is already 65F (I contribute this to leaving on my black winter cover)..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.