Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do those who live in the northeast open their pools?

When do those who live in the northeast open their pools?

I was just wondering when people in the northeast normally open their pools. This will be the first year that the pool will have to be opened. Last year it was installed the day after memorial day during the heat wave so that was nice. I want to open the pool but just don't know when. The water is still crystal clear (I peek under the cover every wk) and was closed using the Namco recommendations. I got the test kit (TF100) a couple of weeks ago and also the intex saltwater generator and I can't wait to use this stuff. Thanks
    18' Willow round AG 52", 19" Sand filter 1 hp pump, Intex SWG 8110, Bought and install May 08
    New 12'x16' deck built March 09
    Poss thinking about solar panels next!

Re: When do those who live in the northeast open their pools?

It's a good practice to open shortly after the water hits 60 degrees to minimize algae growth.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

ok the water temp today is 45 degrees
    18' Willow round AG 52", 19" Sand filter 1 hp pump, Intex SWG 8110, Bought and install May 08
    New 12'x16' deck built March 09
    Poss thinking about solar panels next!

Quote Originally Posted by mastiffs08
    ok the water temp today is 45 degrees
    You probably won't be swimming this weekend!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

My open day will depend on the weather. I am in Northern NJ so my climate is pretty similar to yours but my pool is different. With a 28,000 I/G and no heater, I know I need roughly two weeks to warm up the water to as warm as it will get given the weather. We have had a pool since 1946 at the same location. I'm at about 50 right now. I just finished installing and test running pump, etc.this weekend--basically everything is ready to pull cover, flip switch and add chems. The latest I will pull is May 15 so the pool is ready for Memorial Day--water will still be 55 or below when I open May 15. If the weather warms up and the forecast is good(not the case this year so far) I will start-up as early as April 15. I just won't spend money on kWh and chems unless I can get appreciable warming of the water. 45 degree nights means the cover stays on. Hope this helps.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

I'm in Morris County NJ and just opened mine last week - 20 x 40 IG. The water was 44 degrees when I took the cover off. I always open it the first or second week in April as my son's birthday is May 4th and when he was younger he always wanted a pool party. I probably won't be swimming for a while, as it makes little sense to run the heatpump for another couple of weeks. I do have a pair of 2' by 20' solar mats (80 sqft) that I have been running during the day and the water temp is up to 56 degrees right now.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. New owner of Nikon dSLR D300

Right after the oak trees make their annual mess all over my pool area....around mid-May.
    24000 Gal, 18x36 Vinyl
    Hayward Super Pump
    Jacuzzi Tri Clops Cartridge Filter
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump

When I was growing up in eastern MA, we ran the pool Memorial Day to Labor Day.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

Oh, I wanted to add something that I did last year that worked great. I actually did a pre-opening because it was consistently above 60 while the trees were still pooping

I reached under the cover to unplug the returns, unplugged the skimmers, and got everything up and running with the cover still on. I added my startup dose of bleach and a week later opened up to a fairly clean pool. I ran only the 2 skimmers and not the main drain. But that was because it wasn't working at the time. I may just go with the skimmers again this year before I take the cover off because I'd rather vaccuum anything that may be on the bottom.
    24000 Gal, 18x36 Vinyl
    Hayward Super Pump
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump

This is my first year to open our new pool and I pulled the safety cover of last weekend and fired up the pump the creepy crawly has run about 12 hours and the pool is looking good! I just could not help myself, the water is much nicer to look at than the cover but water is only 51 degrees so it might be a few days before I jump in!!!!
    20 X 40, 28000 gal IG cement bottom, steel sides, vinyl liner, Pentair 4X160 pump, sand filter, SWG, Titan heat pump, coluorlogic and fiber optic. concrete-exposed aggregate deck
    1 skimmer, main drain, 4 returns ( 2 in stairs ) JEWEL LIKE WATER thanks to TFP!

I'm in Ohio and I went ahead and opened about two weeks ago. The water was 51 when opened and then spent the next week and half cleaning up the mess I made taking off the cover (note to self: get help next time to remove gigantic winter cover)

I started up our heat pump about 3 days ago and I just checked the current temp and its at 76!!!!
    its suppose to be cool w/ rain the next couple days but, by the end of this week and next the forecast looks great....we will be swimming (kids are excited...okay, I'm excited)

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

I know I'm not technically northeast, but I opened this weekend, and so did user CubbyBeave in NW Indiana.

We're planning on simultaneous polar bear dips.....

I liked opening early this year, the winter cover wasn't especially disgustingly gross like prior years when I wait till mid-May to open. I was actually able to clean it and store it away for next year, usually I just toss them in the trash.
    Helpful links: Pool School; The Pool Calculator; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

WOW Chrisa, that must be a great heat pump, I have been disappointed with ours, it returns the water to the pool about 3 or 4 degrees warmer, is yours better than this or is this normal?? it takes a very long time to get a noticeable change in temp. I am thinking about adding solar in hopes of quicker ( and cheaper ) heating times.
    20 X 40, 28000 gal IG cement bottom, steel sides, vinyl liner, Pentair 4X160 pump, sand filter, SWG, Titan heat pump, coluorlogic and fiber optic. concrete-exposed aggregate deck
    1 skimmer, main drain, 4 returns ( 2 in stairs ) JEWEL LIKE WATER thanks to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by silcozot
    WOW Chrisa, that must be a great heat pump, I have been disappointed with ours, it returns the water to the pool about 3 or 4 degrees warmer, is yours better than this or is this normal?? it takes a very long time to get a noticeable change in temp. I am thinking about adding solar in hopes of quicker ( and cheaper ) heating times.

Silcozot, if the returning water is 3 or 4 degrees warmer, then it is running normal. I sometimes think mine's not running efficiently either when it really is. I always check to make sure water is running out the bottom and I put my hand over the top. The air blowing should be cool.

Also, if the air temperature is below 45 F, heat pumps don't heat at all.
    24000 Gal, 18x36 Vinyl
    Hayward Super Pump
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump

We are planning to open our pool this weekend. We probably wont turn on the heat pump just yet, but at least we can get the water balanced and deal with any issues that may come up. Silcozot is right, it sure is better to look out the window at a sparkling pool than a big ol' pool cover!
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

Here in Southeastern MA I have generally opened on Memorial Day. This year I am already working "under the cover" getting the water balanced. We renovated our pool in the fall, so I have more work to do this year. I will have the cover off and ready to start heating it up by the first of May this year. The problem with early openings around here is the Pine pollen and tree debris when the leaves are budding. Usually that is gone by the end of May. A solar cover helps keep some of the stuff out of the pool.
    Freeform, gunite, 1050sqft, 38Kgal., PebbleTec, cantilevered exposed aggregate deck. 3 - 24" Sheer Descent, Polaris 380, 6 jet, attached spa., 3 Intellibrite lights, 400K BTU, oil fired heater, Aqualink RS8. 2 -2hp Pumps, Northstar for filtration and StaRite for waterfalls, Pentair Nautilus Plus DE Filter 72 sqFt., Zodiac DuoClear 45 SWCG, Polaris 380, all Jandy NeverLube valves, Taylor 2006

Quote Originally Posted by silcozot
    well I lost some warmth...the last two nights have been pretty cold low 40's and only 37 tonight (so no heat pump). So right now I'm at 72, its suppose to be warmer tomorrow and in the 80's starting Friday (so I should be able to make up the lost temp)...after that, hopefully no more super chilly nights (pool is covered w/ solar cover)
    it gains much more quicker when its warmer out.

Chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

I'm in the Waterbury area and ~ 10 folks have had us open their pools so far (excluding those who have reason to open it in March/ early April - like folks who need the pool open to have their decks installed or some ~ major replumbing/ new equipment installed). Given that you are closer to the coast than we are, I'd say plan on opening the pool the first weekend in May - it's the second and third weeks that are 'optimal' here.

Good luck with the opening, if you need any help from us, we'll be here for you
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

I try to get mine open by Memorial day weekend.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

What if you live in Ohio and have NO HEATING for the pool, when would you open then? we are going to get a solar cover but no solar heat or heat pump, should I let it go a few more weeks or open and just let it do its thing?
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump