Considering replacement pump, filter in So AZ

Mar 12, 2011
Tucson, AZ
A two-component question:

I presently have a 20yr old 1/2hp Purex WhisperFlo that has just started to leak. I'm considering replacement with either a Pentair VS or hi-eff two-speed pump. My (winter) ELX cost is $0.12/kWh ($0.18/kWh in summer). I have an 80 sf cartridge filter and a solar heater at approx 9 ft above the pump. All 2in piping and 220V. With everything clean I get 7 psi (no solar) and 14 psi (w/solar). I have one skimmer and three returns in a 10Kgal pool w/no features and a 2wh Jacuzzi Tracker.

Regarding the pump, the local utility has a $120 rebate on VS pumps, but requires a contractor install. The locals will happily consume the rebate and are still high IMHO. The expensive-to-repair VS also has the limited DIY warranty; all of the above and the small pool incline me to a two-speed pump but I could be persuaded o'wise. Any automation I may use would likely be happy w/ just two speeds. Online, at $634 for a 011486 two-speed vs $880 for the 011018 VS, their price difference is small-ish to me. Even including the rebate, I would still be approx. $400-600 cheaper as DIY vs. contractor for the VS pump.

Is there a two-speed pump that allows the optimum speeds to be manually selected with jumpers?

Regarding the filter, I was looking at the Quad DE 150 (for long cleaning intervals), and was mainly curious what drives the bewildering choice of rotary vs slide valves. I have a convenient backwash drain. I have time until the filter R/R.

Thanks,
Parched

Financially, it's doubtful that the VS would be beneficial. That said, I have a Pentair Inteliflow VS 011018 pump that I recently installed. I paid to have it installed in order to get a rebate and a full warranty. I also added a whole house and a circuit surge protector (about $150 for both) on my main panel and the pool sub panel to protect pumps on board electronic control. Although the power consumption is considerably less than my old pump, it will take a very long time to recoup the cost of the pump. Even if there were no savings, I still would have bought the VS pump for its flexibility. It allows you to program your run schedule and just the right speed for any situation. Since you can use just the right speed the pump is quieter and more efficient than any two speed would be.

My run schedule in the summer uses four different speeds. I have an in floor cleaning system, a solar heating system, and a Salt Water Chlorine Generator.

Pump Run Schedule

RPM Wattage Purpose Start/Stop Hrs

1,000 100 Extra Filtration 4 pm /11 pm..7
1,400 200 Chlorinate 8 am/4 pm........8
2,800 1,300 Cleaning 5 am/8 am........3

External Program
2,550 950 Solar Controller On Demand 40 gpm

The pump runs 18 hrs a day but most of it is at a power draw of 100 or 200 watts (vs my old pump's nearly 3,000 watt draw). The SWG requires 1200 rpm, (I use 1400 just to be safe). The in floor needs 2,800 rpm to work effectively, and three hours provides two full cleaning cycles. During the day, the solar system ramps up the pump speed to 2,550 if heat is called for and is available at the collectors. The rest of the time the pump just runs at 1,000 rpm, drawing only 100 watts.

During the off season, I just run the three hour a day cleaning cycle. 3 hrs @ 2,800 rpm. It's plenty enough to clean and chlorinate the pool.

Thanks chiefwej! I too have the Heliocoil panels which I forgot to add to my sig. As a fellow Tucsonan, you know we get the occasional dust storm, and in my case some mesquite debris (hard to imagine a worse near-pool tree). The VS pump appealed to me too because of the flexibility, but after 40 yrs in the electronics industry I've become somewhat of a neo-Luddite where consumer electronics is concerned. My neighbor has had a VF pump for several years, and loves it. It can practically float people out of his small spa at max power. We also both have whole-house and at-pool surge suppressors. I'll add a two-channel timer.

Just after my post, my wife sort of made up my mind when she said she wants to move in 5-6 years, which firmly solved the payback equation in favor of the two-speed. The 012518 “up-rated” version is $589, vs $634 for the 011486 “full” version – they are the same pump with different labels according to the TFP forums (and the specs).

I searched more and answered my own question about the valves; the TFP seniors seem to favor the rotary multiport valve over the slide type.

I'll keep an eye on the replies for a few more days and then likely go for the 012518. Thanks again for your reply.

Parched

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.