Hello everyone!

NSBFAN

Nov 13, 2015
Minnesota
I just recently found this forum and am so impressed with what I've seen and read so far. I'm another newbie to the pool maintenance world and like many of us, seeking to share ideas, advice, etc. I bought my home with the pool last year. The pool is 10 years old and all is in great shape. The previous owners had a pool service handle the work and the pool was rarely used so I have a good starting point.

I have armed myself with a Taylor K2006 kit and some Hach aquacheck 7 strips. I just started testing and I already found an issue to tend to (high CYA). But I'll research the forum for answers and post a question later if I have to :)

Take care,

Thanks! Yes it is New Smyrna Beach. We do like it here.

CYA is 120. All other readings our right on. Since the pool has been serviced weekly by a company until now, I'm wondering if it is high since it only gets checked once a week (until now). In my reading it sounds like it might be high due to the use of the trichlor (or whatever pucks they've been putting in :). Is that true?

If I understand correctly, the only way to reduce CYA is to drain and refill. But of course that means all other factors will then need adjusting - I guess that's good practice.

Since we are not swimming in the pool for the winter time, maybe it isn't urgent to lower CYA?

I need to get out to a store and buy my stable of chemicals as well.

Boy do I have some reading for you! It is a LOT of info. so take your time and reread as needed. There are a couple you will want to print out and keep by your test kit.

For your shopping trip:

-1 while plastic plate to help with the PH test.
-1 2 cup plastic measuring cup
-1 tooth brush for cleaning small areas

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You will want to print these out:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

This one is THE one to help you learn and know the whys and hows of what we do here at TFP:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You are correct the only way to loser CYA is to drain water. Here is another neat tool to help you figure out how much. It does take some playing around with to really learn how to use it and understand it.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Now you and I both know it will rain quite a bit over the winter so you can let the rain help you by adding "clean" water to your pool.

You are also correct that the tablets are what caused your problems with CYA. I hope you will ONLY use liquid chlorine/bleach from now on. The tablets can be used on a very limited bases like weekend trips and such. Just know that each tablet will put some CYA in your water so..........

Let me know if you have any other questions or just want to check if you are heading in the correct direction.

Kim

Thank you so very much. I appreciate that. I did read many of those articles and I know I will reread them often. It didn't even occur to me to just turn off the chlorinator and use liquid. I will start that way.

Don't just turn it off. Take the tablets out of it. You can sit them out and let them dry BUT think before you put them down on something they could bleach/ruin. You can use them for weekend get aways and such later.

Kim