Challenger Front Housing Pinhole Leak

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
I need a bit of help here. The pump housing has sprung a pinhole leak, see pic "Pinhole Leak". It is p/n 35-5302. I believe it has a threaded pipe fitting insert. My question is what are my options in removing the pump housing piping? Do I saw through the pipe that exits the top of the housing?, see pic Pipe Layout, and if so, then do I buy some sort of sleeve coupling to join the new pipe in? or do I cut further back, actually into the white pool piping and then buy a replacement elbow and sleeve? I would appreciate some tips on what to do.

Thanks in advance

You could use an universal pump union and keep the plumbing intact.

Or, I'd try patching the hole from inside the front housing with Plast-Aid.

OK thanks, I'll look into the Plast-Aid. At the moment I've bodged some JB Weld on the outside in the hope of a temp fix. I;ll look into the pump union but I don't know if I have enough ground clearance to unscrew the housing. That's why I'm thinking I'll have to saw some piping.

Thanks

OK thanks, I'll look into the Plast-Aid. At the moment I've bodged some JB Weld on the outside in the hope of a temp fix. I;ll look into the pump union but I don't know if I have enough ground clearance to unscrew the housing. That's why I'm thinking I'll have to saw some piping.

Thanks

I've fixed it for now with a bodge of JB Weld applied to the front of the housing. I think this should hold pretty good as the pump is only running at 15 psi.

Thanks

I've fixed it for now with a bodge of JB Weld applied to the front of the housing. I think this should hold pretty good as the pump is only running at 15 psi.

Thanks
Well the JB weld did not work, so I'm looking at a replacement housing. I believe it has screw threads on both the suction and discharge sides. There also doesn't look like much room to pull this without cutting pipes. Ground clearance is minimal, there is a support frame that I think can be removed but that would only increase ground clearance by about 1 inch max. Has anyone done one of these or has a link to a vid on the process?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.