Proper distance between pavers

Apr 19, 2015
Palm City, Florida
Our pool builder just laid the pavers yesterday - with the sand. My question is what is the proper distance between pavers? Ours just laid by the Pool Builder have easily a half inch to one inch space between them. They are set at a 3 paver size random "T" pattern. I'm really concerned about this because this is a new house and we have pavers on our front driveway and walkway put in by the builder (we contracted separately with a pool builder after we closed) and those are about 1/16th of an inch to 1/8" of an inch. I know that the sand is going to settle and we are going to have enormous gaps the way it is now. I've taken pictures and bought this to the supervisor's attention, together with another question we had. He addressed our one question, but totally ignored our concern and observation about the pavers.

Thanks for your help.

I agree. I have travertine pavers and our neighbor has concrete pavers (I can't think of the name), both set so closely I wondered how they get the polymeric sand in between - but they did.

I'm not an expert, so maybe someone will come along and say it's OK, but I don't think so. The supervisor's lack of response to your concern about the pavers speaks volumes.

You could have a struggle on your hands getting them to fix it. I imagine that will be labor intensive, but don't give in. Maybe find some sources online stating the standard for paver spacing. Print it out and hand it to him.

Good luck!
Suz.

Just received a call from our PB, he's coming Monday with the people who laid the pavers. He told me that there is a lip on these pavers that are covered up by the sand and they are closer than they appear, but the sand is covering it up. I guess we will see on Monday (I hope so - because for the most part, it has been a good experience with this PB).

Thanks so much everybody. I love this site!

My pavers would look that way way too if they were over-filled. It should be clear if you look at the paver edge profile. You should be able to see it at the outer edges of the decking or on extra pavers.

Pavers sometimes have a notch on their edges that sets a prescribed gap between bricks. This website has a detailed process description for paver installation (also see here). Depending on your local ground conditions, your paver installer may have skipped some steps as some areas of the country have very hard soils (hard pan) and you don't necessarily have to dig down and add road-base material. Other areas may have loose sandy soil and require an actual concrete bed to stabilize the pavers.

Most paver installations I have seen have minimal (< 1/8") gaps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.