Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper distance between pavers

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper distance between pavers

Our pool builder just laid the pavers yesterday - with the sand. My question is what is the proper distance between pavers? Ours just laid by the Pool Builder have easily a half inch to one inch space between them. They are set at a 3 paver size random "T" pattern. I'm really concerned about this because this is a new house and we have pavers on our front driveway and walkway put in by the builder (we contracted separately with a pool builder after we closed) and those are about 1/16th of an inch to 1/8" of an inch. I know that the sand is going to settle and we are going to have enormous gaps the way it is now. I've taken pictures and bought this to the supervisor's attention, together with another question we had. He addressed our one question, but totally ignored our concern and observation about the pavers.

Thanks for your help.
    Dig was September 21st and it's been "full steam ahead" since. It is a 16' x 32' free form with an 18" high wall (steps on each side) with two 24" water features, salt water, sun deck (10'), and a spa (8') with a 48" spillover. All Pentair products and color LED lights. Screen enclosed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper distance between pavers

Personally, I would tell them, in no uncertain terms, that sort of gap is unacceptable. I would tell them to fix it correctly and not give them a chance to ignore me.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I agree. I have travertine pavers and our neighbor has concrete pavers (I can't think of the name), both set so closely I wondered how they get the polymeric sand in between - but they did.

I'm not an expert, so maybe someone will come along and say it's OK, but I don't think so. The supervisor's lack of response to your concern about the pavers speaks volumes.

You could have a struggle on your hands getting them to fix it. I imagine that will be labor intensive, but don't give in. Maybe find some sources online stating the standard for paver spacing. Print it out and hand it to him.

Good luck!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

We have concrete pavers in our driveway and they are butted up next to each other. They are also set with polymeric sand. I agree with everyone else that your spacing is unacceptable.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't pay them until you are satisfied. Once they cash the check, you have no leverage.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all so much. We will not back off from this.
    Dig was September 21st and it's been "full steam ahead" since. It is a 16' x 32' free form with an 18" high wall (steps on each side) with two 24" water features, salt water, sun deck (10'), and a spa (8') with a 48" spillover. All Pentair products and color LED lights. Screen enclosed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just received a call from our PB, he's coming Monday with the people who laid the pavers. He told me that there is a lip on these pavers that are covered up by the sand and they are closer than they appear, but the sand is covering it up. I guess we will see on Monday (I hope so - because for the most part, it has been a good experience with this PB).

Thanks so much everybody. I love this site!

8. Back To Top    #8

Take and share a pic so we can see what you are worried about. I hope your PB is right but.............

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

My pavers would look that way way too if they were over-filled. It should be clear if you look at the paver edge profile. You should be able to see it at the outer edges of the decking or on extra pavers.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Pavers sometimes have a notch on their edges that sets a prescribed gap between bricks. This website has a detailed process description for paver installation (also see here). Depending on your local ground conditions, your paver installer may have skipped some steps as some areas of the country have very hard soils (hard pan) and you don't necessarily have to dig down and add road-base material. Other areas may have loose sandy soil and require an actual concrete bed to stabilize the pavers.

Most paver installations I have seen have minimal (< 1/8") gaps
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates