Finally Digging in League City!!!

vela

Sep 22, 2015
League City/TX
Been going crazy trying to validate the paint on my grass vs the agreed to drawing. Probably worried too much about it, but some aspects of the layout do not really match the design and finally they are coming back out tomorrow to discuss this issue. After all, once it's built, We'll have to live with it not the PB. If all goes well, we'll be digging on Wednesday!

Attachments

• final pool layout.jpg
    final pool layout.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 277
Re: Almost Ready to Dig!

I tried to take pics when they first marked it out, but they don't do justice from ground level. The biggest discrepancy is that the radius of the right-most circle is a tad under 6 ft at best when the drawing shows approximately 8. The others are smaller too but not as much as this one. It didn't feel like it added up so I took it upon myself to do the drawing above by imposing lines on their drawing. Being a little obsessive, I also ran a quick CAD simulation and that verified that there's something wrong on their end. Now I just hope I can convince them.

I tried to take pics when they first marked it out, but they don't do justice from ground level. The biggest discrepancy is that the radius of the right-most circle is a tad under 6 ft at best when the drawing shows approximately 8. The others are smaller too but not as much as this one. It didn't feel like it added up so I took it upon myself to do the drawing above by imposing lines on their drawing. Being a little obsessive, I also ran a quick CAD simulation and that verified that there's something wrong on their end. Now I just hope I can convince them.

We had the same problem. I would ask them if the outline on the ground is the water outline or including the width of the water with the gunite. The reason I ask is on your drawing the 8' diameter is from the outside of the coping. If you figure the coping is at least 12" thick then that makes the water diameter around 7'. That would match what they drew on the ground. For our pool they drew the water outline on the ground not the size of the hole. The hole was at least 2' wider than the water outline at any given point to account for the rebar/gunite.

I think that's where I've been a bit nervous. When he marked it, he told me the water line would be about a foot inside his markings. I hadn't studied the drawing or interpreted their scale yet, but since he helped me out with understanding the scale, I had time to study it on my own. I wish they had done a computer drawing instead of a hand-drawn one. I was assigned the only designer in their crew that still does things the old-fashioned way (by hand) and that's okay too. We'll work through it and it's not like I'm itching to jump in as the temps are falling so I can be patient.

PB came by and we discussed my concerns. It was probably more of an issue that the pool was drawn to a scale and then made to fit the land survey scale. Not a big deal as we re-drew it to stretch it out a bit to 7.5 ft instead of 6.5 ft at that radius. Finally we are ready to dig!! However, due to all the rain this past weekend, they cannot excavate as they don't can't access their dirt dump area as the heavy trucks sink in. Hopefully early next week.

After weeks of rain we're finally done digging! Our yard is a mess and our sprinkler system is shot, but the pool is finally dug. Maybe tomorrow we might even get rebar installed. I'll admit that for some time there I did feel over my head and overwhelmed by the project. I know in the end it will all be so worth it!!!!

Attachments

• Pool Dig.jpg
    Pool Dig.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 178

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally Done in League City

Finally done and going. Now to put the yard back together... All numbers look very good so far and the water temp has been between 55 and 62. After months of reading and learning, I finally have a couple weeks under my belt and PoolMath is definitely such an advantage. Thank you for that!!!

Quick question on the chlorine: during these cooler months and since I do not have to close the pool in the winter, is it necessary to keep the FC to CYA ratio as prescribed or does 3 ppm suffice since the temps are low? Currently, I've been keeping it at 6 ppm, but I figure that might be more of a summer value?

Day 3.jpg

Quick question on the chlorine: during these cooler months and since I do not have to close the pool in the winter, is it necessary to keep the FC to CYA ratio as prescribed or does 3 ppm suffice since the temps are low?
It's tempting to cut back in the winter but you really should keep the FC/CYA ratio just as you do in the summer.

Thanks DV! I'll be glad when the rest of the construction is done. I haven't dipped a toe, but I'm already spending more money! It will be worth it tho!!

Kim, I guess since we don't really close our pools we should still follow the recommendations. Mine sure doesn't take much to keep the FC up. Even the MA, I was worried that I'd need gallons per day instead of cups per day with the new plaster. So I'm glad for that part.

Finally done restoring the landscaping and the sprinkler system. The water has looked great since initial fill in January and now at 83F, it sure feels good also!

download

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.