Stenner freezing

Mar 30, 2015
Dallas, Texas
Just got my stenner hooked up and in the manuel it mentioned winterizing. Here in north texas we dont close our pools but we will get occasional freezes.

What do you do to make sure your stenner doesn't break due to freezing temps if you use it year round ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Approximate Freezing Points of Sodium Hypochlorite Solutions
Weight Percent NaOCl . Freezing Point (°F). Freezing Point (°C)
4 ............................................24.0......................... -4.4
6 ............................................18.5 .........................-7.5
8 ............................................17.0 .......................-10.0
10............................................ 7.0....................... -13.9
12 ...........................................-3.0....................... -19.4
14 .........................................-14.0....................... -25.6
http://hillbrothers.com/pdf/Product-Profiles/Sodium-Hypochlorite-Solution-Strengths.pdf

If you're going to have very cold weather, then I would suggest not using the Stenner during the time. Chlorine demand will be low and manual additions should be sufficient.

How cold will it get? What is the strength of the bleach?

8.25 % is the weight percent. With your weather, I wouldn't expect the bleach to freeze. Stenner might have other concerns regarding freezing weather, such as the flexibility of the tubing. If the manual does not give an operating temperature range, then you might want to contact them to inquire.

If the freeze points listed above are anywhere near correct I don't think those who are able to stay open have anything to worry about. If you are still concerned and your pump controller has freeze protect you could use a cover like a garbage can and a 40W light bulb connected to the pump relay, for the tubes put a second larger tube over the lines. There are also 110V thermostats that could be used for the same thing for $20 to $30 on eBay. If you are not worried about the power usage just leave the bulb on for the month or two you might have a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.