Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner freezing

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner freezing

Just got my stenner hooked up and in the manuel it mentioned winterizing. Here in north texas we dont close our pools but we will get occasional freezes.

What do you do to make sure your stenner doesn't break due to freezing temps if you use it year round ?

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner freezing

Approximate Freezing Points of Sodium Hypochlorite Solutions
    Weight Percent NaOCl . Freezing Point (F). Freezing Point (C)
    4 ............................................24.0............ ............. -4.4
    6 ............................................18.5 .........................-7.5
    8 ............................................17.0 .......................-10.0
    10............................................ 7.0....................... -13.9
    12 ...........................................-3.0....................... -19.4
    14 .........................................-14.0....................... -25.6
    http://hillbrothers.com/pdf/Product-...-Strengths.pdf

If you're going to have very cold weather, then I would suggest not using the Stenner during the time. Chlorine demand will be low and manual additions should be sufficient.

How cold will it get? What is the strength of the bleach?

3. Back To Top    #3

Where is the input valve solenoid with respect of the other 7ppm pool water. I wonder if the input tubing may freeze up?
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

How would 8.25 bleach relate to Weight Percent NaOCl? Here in SoCal, it can get down to 27 degrees, but not for long. I have a Stenner and have also thought about freezing with my exposed lines from the Chlorine tank and back to the plumbing.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

8.25 % is the weight percent. With your weather, I wouldn't expect the bleach to freeze. Stenner might have other concerns regarding freezing weather, such as the flexibility of the tubing. If the manual does not give an operating temperature range, then you might want to contact them to inquire.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If the freeze points listed above are anywhere near correct I don't think those who are able to stay open have anything to worry about. If you are still concerned and your pump controller has freeze protect you could use a cover like a garbage can and a 40W light bulb connected to the pump relay, for the tubes put a second larger tube over the lines. There are also 110V thermostats that could be used for the same thing for $20 to $30 on eBay. If you are not worried about the power usage just leave the bulb on for the month or two you might have a problem.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like I should be ok we only,have short periods of freeze so I'll try insulating like suggested if it will be in the 20s for awhile

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.