High Chlorine Usage

Vitamin C lifts metal stains, not algae. If you had yellow stains and the vitamin C removed them then you probably have iron scaling.

Is your pool on city or well water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

City water with water softener. I had it tested came back at .5 iron..I think they said very low.

What was tested, the pool water or the fill water? If the pool water is 0.5ppm that's ok. If the fill water has 0.5ppm Fe in it then that's not ok as evaporation and refill will cause iron build up in the water.

Either way, if Vitamin C lifted those stains then they are metal stains. Vitamin C has no affect on algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
then I better star bringing that up, never seen it that low...
Remember, the lower the CYA the more effective the chlorine. I would hold off on messing with the CYA or any other parameter during the SLAM and concentrate on the SLAM. Once the water is clear you can worry about CYA. I bet algae is reducing the FC more than UV is with algae in the water.

Plus, if it was 80 before and 0 now something else is up - testing error?

Remember, the lower the CYA the more effective the chlorine. I would hold off on messing with the CYA or any other parameter during the SLAM and concentrate on the SLAM. Once the water is clear you can worry about CYA. I bet algae is reducing the FC more than UV is with algae in the water.

Plus, if it was 80 before and 0 now something else is up - testing error?

+1 ^^^^^^^^^

Something doesn't pass the sniff-test here. You can't measure 80ppm before the SLAM and then 0ppm during the SLAM. The CYA test can, under some extreme circumstances (high FC and very high pH), register a lower CYA value than when you are at normal FC but it is quite rare for that to happen. As well, the only tests you should perform during a SLAM are FC/CC tests. pH doesn't work at shock levels and the other tests can be easily skewed by the high chlorine levels.

So do as Tim5055 suggests and just focus on completing the SLAM then settle back to normal levels and do any testing and adjustments then.

I have a spa that spills over to the pool, do you think I should crack open the jva for the drains to circulate water through them, I don't know if the slam might be reaching those pipes for the drains, I did crack the pool drains. I have to do this manually.

when I am back to normal pool readings, my spa drain which really doesn't get much circulation through it, would it be wise to drill a little hole in the valve like they do in the solar valve just to have a little circulation through it?

I would not do that as there is a potential to completely drain the spa dry if you ever shut off the spa spillway into the pool.

If you have automation, the best thing you can do it just program the spa to run (with no heat on) for 20-30mins each day just to make sure the jet pipes and drain pipes see water movement. Very little algae can grow in dark pipes but you can get bacterial biofilms so it's good to flush the pipes regularly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.