High Chlorine Usage

Fc 4
    Ph 7.6
    Cc 0
    Ta 75
    Cya 80
    Salt 3300
    Water Temp 81

Yesterday it was at 8ppm of fc, i brought this up with liquid chlorine from 2.5. There are no signs of algae, water is clear. I talked to Autopilot about the swg, he told me to test it by capping the bottom then fill with pool water, and there were bubbles from the plates. I am lost right now, the only thing is new is the solar heat which has been running great for months now. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also can you test liquid chlorine?
    I am targeting 8 ppm
    Today at 4 ppm

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Chlorine Usage

Sorry you are having an issue. Even if you don't see algae, I think you might have a nascent algae bloom brewing with a FC of 2.5. (The minimum FC level is 4 with CYA of 80). I would raise the FC to 10 tonight and perform an OCLT to rule out an algae bloom.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

will do that tonight, Thanks
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Good advice to conduct the OCLT to see what is going on. Earlier this year I noticed a higher chlorine demand but my water was clear and nothing obvious was growing. I failed OCLT and ended up having to SLAM. As I caught it early it only took about four days at shock level to get it under control and pass OCLT.

Good job on paying attention to your pool!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I lost 3ppm overnight, will start SLAM today..Thanks
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Good advice to conduct the OCLT to see what is going on. Earlier this year I noticed a higher chlorine demand but my water was clear and nothing obvious was growing. I failed OCLT and ended up having to SLAM. As I caught it early it only took about four days at shock level to get it under control and pass OCLT.

Good job on paying attention to your pool!
    I think I'll run mine for 4 days also, since I can't see the algae. To do the OCLT again, do I have to bring the FC back down to normal level. Thanks
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

The amount of time it takes to pass a SLAM can vary from pool to pool, so don't get too hung-up on a specific number. The key is to follow everything you see on the SLAM page (link below) and pass the 3 SLAM criteria, one of which is the OCLT.
    When performing the OLCT, remember that it must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. If you use a SWG or automatic chlorinator, make sure they are turned-off or set to zero. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting (bedtime) FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.
    Best of luck to you!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, like Pat said - the SLAM runs until you pass all three criteria, or in your case OCLT.

Just test at SLAM levels for the OCLT.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Should i circulate the water through the solar panels just in case something is in there also.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, like Pat said - the SLAM runs until you pass all three criteria, or in your case OCLT.

Just test at SLAM levels for the OCLT.
    Ok, will do.Thanks

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

Is it possible that algae is growing in my solar panels when the system turns off when reaching temp, and when the system is not used?
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    Is it possible that algae is growing in my solar panels when the system turns off when reaching temp, and when the system is not used?
    Yes, any area that has water I. It should be circulated regularly to keep the chlorine level up in that area. This is also common for spas.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, any area that has water I. It should be circulated regularly to keep the chlorine level up in that area. This is also common for spas.
    Thanks so now I know how it got started.
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

one last question, when doing the SLAM should the pump be run 24hrs? Thanks

I just read some older post, says to run24/7.
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes - 24/7. Keep that water circulating, and continue to sweep/brush often to break-up any fresh algae growth in the pool. It will help the bleach work better. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

17. Back To Top    #17

Well 7 days of the SLAM still losing 4ppm OCLT. I had some stains for almost a year yellow in color which i put a vit c tablet on it and the stain was gone, i read that mustard algae looks like this at the beginning, but would vit c lift it? I have noticed the high Chlorine are lightening the stains. My question is, is it mustard algae or metal stains, and would high Chlorine lighten metal stains. Thank you

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

18. Back To Top    #18

I was having a similar issue (posted in SWG area) and I thought SWG wasn't working. Gunite pool all crystal clear to the eye.
    Found out by pulling light fixture out that I had algae bloom inside the light niche. Scrubbed it and skimmer out well, looks like I passed OCLT last night, so 5 days. All the time everything looked good to the eye, except the test results. Even if I was only dropping 2-3 ppm, I'd add more bleach to stay up in shock level. Did so much testing I used about 4 oz of r-0871. Takes a lot of drops when CL level is over 30!

I had to learn to trust the pool school and poolmath instead of my gut, based on PB opening crew, tossing around 'ideal' numbers.
    We had some rain, so watching numbers for another night to confirm we are on target.

Good luck, I was really surprised pulling light out, been working on it in the dark, should be interesting to get a look Saturday morning.
    And yes, our solar was circulating at the time, so any water in that system was getting shock levels too.
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by flipr View Post
    I was having a similar issue (posted in SWG area) and I thought SWG wasn't working. Gunite pool all crystal clear to the eye.
    Found out by pulling light fixture out that I had algae bloom inside the light niche. Scrubbed it and skimmer out well, looks like I passed OCLT last night, so 5 days. All the time everything looked good to the eye, except the test results. Even if I was only dropping 2-3 ppm, I'd add more bleach to stay up in shock level. Did so much testing I used about 4 oz of r-0871. Takes a lot of drops when CL level is over 30!

I had to learn to trust the pool school and poolmath instead of my gut, based on PB opening crew, tossing around 'ideal' numbers.
    We had some rain, so watching numbers for another night to confirm we are on target.

Good luck, I was really surprised pulling light out, been working on it in the dark, should be interesting to get a look Saturday morning.
    And yes, our solar was circulating at the time, so any water in that system was getting shock levels too.
    Well will pull the lights out, just replaced the bulbs about 2 months ago with led. I guess I can just let them hang in the water...you would think that water would circulate in the niche. Thanks for the info.
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

20. Back To Top    #20

mine had about 4' of extra cable, so light is resting on the deck surface. My trim ring had holes for water flow, but I'm sure it wasn't flowingmoving enough for a regular water change. I too thought at shock levels I must have shock level inside pool light niche. Doesn't change the slimy green cable I had though. Live and learn for me.
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast