Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opening when possible frost/snow can occur.

1. Back To Top    #1

Denver, Colorado

opening when possible frost/snow can occur.

Quick question. I live in Colorado and will soon have a pool. I want to start a baquacil conversion the minute I move in but I wanted advice as to whether to wait. It can snow anytime up until late may here. As the pool has a heater, should I just open up the pool when it looks like there are a few nice days ahead with the heater full blast incase snow does occur?
    I'm going to have a load of questions when I finally get in the house but I really wanted a plan of action as I will be stopping at Walmart for the bleach straight after I get the keys.....

The pool has an automatic cover - will the pump circulating the water be enough to stop any freezing in the pipes?

Thanks All..
    25k Inground Vinyl - 3ft to 10ft, Tagelus TA-60 Sand, Minimax 400 Heater, Save T3 autocover.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: opening when possible frost/snow can occur.

As long as the pump is running, you can handle temps below freezing. There is a risk of freezing if the pump were to fail on you, but otherwise you'd be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: opening when possible frost/snow can occur.

I'd keep the heater off or at a very low temp setting, too should the weather don't want to try to maintain swimable temps - you'll end up with a huge utility bill.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner