Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light bulbs

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light bulbs

I was looking at the LED bulbs that mount in the underwater fixtures. Imagine my surprise when I saw that they cost hundreds of dollars. I don't understand what is so special about these led spotlights. I looked at some of the YouTube bulb changing videos and it looks like a lot of these fixtures use a standard base bulb. Why can't I use a standard led spotlight bulb inside the waterproof housing.

What am I missing?

I plan to remove my housing in the morning.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light bulbs

Nothing, except the 110 v light fixture in my pool has a 500 watt bulb in it. I can't seem to find a cheap LED bulb that puts out that much light. But, prices are coming down and brighter bulbs are becoming more common.....soon.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

The spot light bulb might not fit and its not listed for use in a pool. While the LED spotlight may say UL on the box that is not for use in a pool fixture. Furthermore, as Chief states its way underpowered.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pacific NW

They are mostly highway robbery.

You can find ones near $ 100 that are pool rated on amazon, but again not so bright.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.