High FC and High pH

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

We've been getting some kind of particles in the SPA via the blower. Now have been running in SPA mode for 10 min's 3-4 days per week, w BLOWER too for 1-2 min's. The SPA spills over into POOL when main VSP is on daily.

The pool guy came [we are now using liquid bleach bc I wanted to get rid of pucks due to their infamous higher CYA levels] and applied some more liq bleach [12.5%] and I think he ran some in the blower to disinfect it. Well, I did the quick FC & pH test and the FC was orange and off the charts The pH was at the top or 7.8-8.2 range. When I test the FC & CC via TF-100, I used 34 drops to clear the water, so that's an of 17.

I did not perform any other tests, but I am filling the pool w about another inch of water to the drain line. It is not sunny now and the CYA was last tested at 55-60 about a week ago. I am wanting to know what I need to do or not do at this point? Also, it is ok to use the SPA tonight or are the FC levels way too high?

Thank you,
tstex

If the pool guy is coming once a week he has to put enough chlorine in the pool that it still has a minimum level left when he comes back the following week. A FC of 17 seems pretty reasonable to me since he's not adding any for a week.

The last time he was here he was supposed to leave me some CL, but did not. This time he did, so I will add when need. I bought M-Acid [30%] and will adjust when needed. After I get this down, we agreed I would start maintaining pool and when we left for vacation or extended periods, I would pay him on a per trip basis. He's really a good guy, been servicing pools for 28 yrs and was recommended by a good friend. Her husband died and he used to take care of the pool, so they hired this guy and we have used him too.

Thanks, tstex

With your FC at 17 the pH test is inaccurate, reading high. This occurs when the FC goes above 10.

Perfect, this is what I needed to know. How long, typically, does it take for the pool's FC to lower? Water temp goes from 69-73 now, CYA 55-60 and sun is in and out now for the next 3-5 days. No activity in the water and no leaves or anything of substance in the water. Thanks again.

Obviously it will vary by pool. My pool consumes about 2ppm/day during summer and probably a little less than 1ppm/day during the winter. I'm in Southern California and have a 14,000 gal pool. CYA is about 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.