New Pool Build - Phx, AZ

az_fam

Nov 11, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Hello all,

After checking out and reading posts on this fabulous forum, I've decided to finally register! We are in the process of having a pool built here in sunny Phoenix!! We signed the ppwk on September 30th and are well underway with our first pool build! Our pool will be approximately 32x16, with a geometric, rectangle shape. We will have baja step/sun shelf/tanning ledge (whatever you call it where you live :D), three umbrella sleeves, a basketball hoop (I have teen/tween boys), and a sheer descent in there.

What drew me to the forum was the months long discussion about the Blue Smurf, err surf, pebble sheen! LOL. We are currently going with Aqua blue, but I saw it in person and was just ho hum about it. I am going to the builder tomorrow to reevaluate all of my color choices :D!!! It's all tough choices!!!

az_fam

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave: We have many Valley of the Sun members here, so you're in great company. Stick close to TFP and let us know if you have any questions during your build. Lots of folks here that can help answer any questions. Have a nice evening.

Hi! Too cute and funny that the blue smurf thread pulled you in! We have lots of fun here that is for sure.

If you want to read a fun build thread look for Suz's in Texas. Her thread is epic! There is also Sunbaby (Wendy) that was along the same time. Oh and Jenny's thread...and wait Helen's thread LOL I am sure I missed someone.....we have had a lot of fun threads this summer!

So back to you! Do you want list your pool details and design? We would LOVE to see a yard before and now pic. You can use photo bucket or such to load pics.

Here is a link to another build showing you what she has done with the samples she got. I am linking to the page where she talks about them but the whole thread is fun!

Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!! - Page 8

Kim

Hello all,

After checking out and reading posts on this fabulous forum, I've decided to finally register! We are in the process of having a pool built here in sunny Phoenix!! We signed the ppwk on September 30th and are well underway with our first pool build! Our pool will be approximately 32x16, with a geometric, rectangle shape. We will have baja step/sun shelf/tanning ledge (whatever you call it where you live :D), three umbrella sleeves, a basketball hoop (I have teen/tween boys), and a sheer descent in there.

What drew me to the forum was the months long discussion about the Blue Smurf, err surf, pebble sheen! LOL. We are currently going with Aqua blue, but I saw it in person and was just ho hum about it. I am going to the builder tomorrow to reevaluate all of my color choices :D!!! It's all tough choices!!!

az_fam

Congrats on your new pool. I am also in AZ and my build is well under way. Coping was just installed today. Look forward to seeing some of your photos. I am doing an owner build and we are about 20 days in.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!!! I will definitely add some pics. We actually landscaped our yard in April/May and DH got super sick. Couldn't figure it out, turns out he is super allergic to bermuda grass. I said no way am I mowing that, lets get a pool (I've been wanting one for years :D) so we decided to go for it!! Details I do know: 4x6x4 with a 98 linear foot perimeter, I am getting gallon info tomorrow as we changed our mind on size many times before settling, we are getting a variable speed pump, I think the filter is Hayward, we are doing a vac, not in floor, as it was very pricey and we were on a very tight pool budget (which we still went over!). As I mentioned before, its geometric with a sheer descent. The sheer descent to the waterline should be 30" (2 ft to Kool deck and 6" to water line). I told him I want it as high as possible for the kids to jump off of :). The wall with the sheer descent is about 7' long and then there are two step down ledges next to that at 3' long each. You can see in the attached photos.

Pool form, post excavation:
IMG_6056.jpg

Plumbing in
IMG_6078.jpg

Shotcrete done...She gets watered 4 times/day....So fun...
IMG_6145.jpg
---------------------------
Pool under construction
98' perimeter
Geometric Shape
Auto water leveler
VSP
Aquanaut 400 vac
No LED light (can I just put in an LED bulb??)
Pebble Sheen - Currently deciding
Ledge stone is an Autumn color. Can't remember name
Kool decking in adobe buff
Water tiles in Chevaya Falls unless I change my mind tomorrow
Anything else I am missing??? Probably a lot :D

- - - Updated - - -

azjoshers79, I wanted to do an owner build but DH wasn't feeling it, so we decided to let the pro's handle it this time. If we ever move and do this again, I'd totally do be my own contractor and sub out the jobs.

Love the geometric design! I wanted to go that route but the wife wasn't having it. So I settled for a raised back bond beam with 3 sheer decents.

Looks like they installed a puck chlorine feeder, I'm sure others on this site will warn you about relying on pucks for chlorine.

Although I am doing a owner build on paper, I have a buddy that is a contractor that used to build pools full time. He is managing my build and had relationships with all the subs. So didn't have to worry about negotiating. I am paying him a percentage. Although I'm paying more than a traditional owner build, I feel it's been really worth it. My guy has really delivered so far and his subs have been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome that you have a contractor to use! I don't even want to know how much extra I am spending...I think we do have the puck chlorine feeder (is that called an inline chlorinator??). I look forward to learning about how to actually CARE for the pool as we are both so clueless!

Welcome to TFP! This is a great place to get sound advice from wonderful friendly people. We are also doing a rectangular pool roughly the size of yours. This will be fun to watch! Congratulations!

Well that is one way to get a pool! Poor hubby!

The only thing I see missing is your test kit. THAT is the major thing you need to help you take care of your new pool. Look in my siggy below to find the link to the test kits we use and love. I also have where to buy them from.

Your own test kit will SAVE you SO much money in the end! Yea the pool store will test for "free" BUT is it really free if you walk out of the store with $$$ amount of stuff? NOPE!

You can set a sprinkler up to water your pool with if you don't want to stand there holding the hose.........although that is a good way to bond with your pool! LOL

Thanks for the pics! That is taking up a lot of grass space for sure!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
...I think we do have the puck chlorine feeder (is that called an inline chlorinator??). I look forward to learning about how to actually CARE for the pool as we are both so clueless!

Yes, a puck chlorine feeder is aka an inline chlorinator (method 1 to chlorinate a pool - NOT RECOMMENDED - as CYA will become too high). Not to be confused with a SWCG/SWG/Salt Cell/Salt system/Salt chlorinator, which is also "inline" to the water flow but produces chlorine using electricity to convert NaCl (salt) to chlorine (same thing as bleach). Then the the chlorine kills bacteria and turns back into salt to start the circle of killing again (instead of the circle of life) (this is method 2 - highly recommended). The third method is testing and adding bleach daily or as needed (but very frequently) (also very recommended if you can't go with a salt system)

I'd recommend learning how to care for your pool here and not from your PB. Check out Pool School...you'll want to read things 2 or 3 times over to begin getting your head around a few really key basic concepts. The most important one to focus on is the importance of your CYA (cyanuric acid level - aka stabilizer), which is closely related to the FC (Free Chlorine)/CYA relationship. Until you have some idea of what those things mean, I wouldn't dig too much further. Everything hinges on that.

It will seem a bit overwhelming at first, but I assure you, you can manage your own pool water, easily and at a much lower cost/frustration level than any service can. I knew ZERO about pool maintenance when we built our pool. Thanks to TFP I know how to handle all aspects of my pool without stress or substantial financial outlay (though nothing is free).

Oh, I almost forgot, get a good test kit - MOST IMPORTANT. I'd recommend the TF-100 from tftestkits.net along with a Speed-Stir. Order it now so you have it BEFORE your pool has water. The Taylor K-2006 is similar but has less of needed reagents so it is less convenient in the long run. Neither are cheap, but you don't want (and can't properly manage your pool) with a cheap test kit (read, the one you PB will give you).

az_fam

Were you ho hum about the Aquablue or the Blue Smurf?

I will definitely order the test kit and will have hubby read pool school with me. I definitely don't want to pay for a monthly service. I have a pool payment to make now �� I am SOOO glad I found this site, I know it'll help us tremendously.

We are not doing saltwater. Just straight up chlorine.

As as for the pebble sheen, I was ho hum about aqua blue. Going in an hour to check out the blue smurf...

I went with Blue Smurf...err Surf Pebbleseen

So I went back to the PB today to go over the color choices we made. Not sure what I was smoking/drinking/thinking because I hated it!!! My tile was too dark and not a good match for the Sheen and the ledgestone was too bland. Soo, I changed it from the Aqua Blue to the Blue Smurf and did a different tile. Also changed the ledgestone to something more rich. Here's our final selection...

Updated options I like...
http://

What I went with (for now)...
http://

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.