Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy PDA-PS4 to be installed - questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy PDA-PS4 to be installed - questions

We've signed a contract to do some remodeling work on our pool/spa, and plan to also upgrade the pump and add automation at the same time.

The pool contractor has suggested the Jandy PDA-PS4 and a Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump.

When we moved in, the pool had a brand new Pentair Mastertemp 400K heater. It also has an older DE 60Sq filter, and a Polaris 280 pool cleaner with booster pump.

My questions are:

1. Are these decent automation and variable speed pumps?
    2. Can we easily add an integrated (to the automation system) SWG later? I was thinking Jandy PLC1400, but it is not clear from all the searches what is needed.
    3. Would it be difficult to add iPhone/Android control for the automation later?

Thank you!
    24K in ground pool/spa combo, Jandy PDA PS4 Automation
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump
    Natilus FNS60 DE Filter
    Pentair Mastertemp 400K heater
    Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy PDA-PS4 to be installed - questions

1. Jandy PS4 is what I have and while I don't like the old school automation with all the menus it works great. The pump is fine. You could probably get by with a 2 speed pump rather than a VS because your electric is so cheap. You might consider switching to a Polaris 360 cleaner without the booster pump then you clean and filter at the same time -- but the return on investment there like on the pump may not be good.

2. Yes you can add a swg later. Make sure you talk with the PB and be clear you want to be able to do this because you may need to upgrade to aPDA-PS8 with eight relays instead of just 4.

3. No Jandy makes an upgrade -- I would add it now -- Iaqualink -- its not that expensive and Jandy revamped it several years ago so its better than it was.

Zodiac
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Jandy PDA-PS4 to be installed - questions

Thanks for the input. Our electricity is cheaper than CA (just moved from Huntington Beach 4 months ago) but not as cheap as other parts of Texas (we are in a CO-OP area),
    24K in ground pool/spa combo, Jandy PDA PS4 Automation
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump
    Natilus FNS60 DE Filter
    Pentair Mastertemp 400K heater
    Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump