Solid pool cover and checking chemical balances

Mar 19, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to find info on checking pool chemical balances with a solid cover on in Texas weather. I suppose I can start checking once a week and see how things change, but i thought i'd check and see if there's any opinions here on checking chemical levels in southern weather with a solid cover on.

Does the ph and free chlorine still need to be checked regularly, or can either be ignored until you take off the cover (from Oct until May)? My guess would be just to check ph every so often since there's no sunlight getting in the pool, but any opinions?

On a side note, do you even have to run the pool pump with a solid cover on for any reason?

Thanks a lot,

You should only have to run the pump if the temperatures drop to below freezing. You should periodically check your FC levels to make sure you have some FC in the pool, especially if the water temperature is above 60 degrees. pH should also periodically checked, but if the pump is not running, the pool is not being used, there is unlikely to be much change in the pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.