Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solid pool cover and checking chemical balances

1. Back To Top    #1

Fort Worth, TX

Solid pool cover and checking chemical balances

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to find info on checking pool chemical balances with a solid cover on in Texas weather. I suppose I can start checking once a week and see how things change, but i thought i'd check and see if there's any opinions here on checking chemical levels in southern weather with a solid cover on.

Does the ph and free chlorine still need to be checked regularly, or can either be ignored until you take off the cover (from Oct until May)? My guess would be just to check ph every so often since there's no sunlight getting in the pool, but any opinions?

On a side note, do you even have to run the pool pump with a solid cover on for any reason?

Thanks a lot,
    25,000 Gallon Pool, In Ground, Plaster, DE Filter (need to get model), need to get pump, pool build year unknown

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Solid pool cover and checking chemical balances

You should only have to run the pump if the temperatures drop to below freezing. You should periodically check your FC levels to make sure you have some FC in the pool, especially if the water temperature is above 60 degrees. pH should also periodically checked, but if the pump is not running, the pool is not being used, there is unlikely to be much change in the pH.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons