New build in N. Ft. Worth (pics inside)

Nov 7, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
I found this forum while searching reviews of our builder, and ran across this thread (I wish I would've found it prior to choosing our builder), which was very informal and I greatly appreciate OP sharing his/her experience. Our pool build still in progress, I will be updating this thread regularly.

Pool picture album here.

Start date: Sep 23, 2015
Finish date: In progress
Pool size: 14'6" x 17'6" x 33'
Gallons: 18.500

Got the back panels of our fence put up and electricity finished under our patio. Things are coming together nicely. Still need to have the back wall veneer fixed. The back-side veneer is currently a brown-stucco, but should be Oklahoma Flagstone. After that, we'll lay down sod and some minor landscaping.

Complete album here

Sep 20, 2015
9QLs1l5.jpg

Nov 10, 2015
L3NOoV9.jpg

I can't tell a difference in your before and after pics.

JK...Awesome transformation!!

Neat little fenced in area. Is that for dogs or kids? Or you?

I enjoyed looking through your album. What a transformation! Your rock salt deck turned out great. Is it colored and if so, what color did you go with?

Congratulations on the baby on the way! That's awesome!

I enjoyed looking through your album. What a transformation! Your rock salt deck turned out great. Is it colored and if so, what color did you go with?

Congratulations on the baby on the way! That's awesome!

Thanks! The decking is natural color, which I was actually disappointed with. We are new to pools, and weren't told we could have it colored.

That looks good! Just got word this morning that our deck inspection is today and they will finally pour tomorrow.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Retaining Wall?

Should I get a retaining wall put up on one side of our decking? They cleaned and graded and laid top soil down the day before we got all that rain down here in TX. I will have to put more top soil down and level it before laying sod.

One side is a little over a foot sloped down that the other. See pics.

(Looking from back door side)
Right side:
ou3dWKS.jpg

D8T5aBa.jpg

Left side:
9fwT6Su.jpg

Not enough of an engineer to comment on retaining wall issue but great backyard redo. The stone work in and around the pool is grand.
Thanks! The builder did a great job with mostly everything.
Could you put down more top soil and then some plants, like some grasses-purple fountain grass or liriope?Didn't realize how much it sloped. Maybe some river rock too?
I will lay some more top soil down this weekend. I don't want to put and plants, rock, etc. on the outside of the pool. We have about 3-4' strips of grass on the outside of the pool, and about 8' behind the raised wall for kids to play on and such. We still want some kind of backyard. I just don't know if I need a retaining wall on that one side.

Sorry for the lack of updates. This past weekend I put down medium and small Arizona Cobblestone in the narrow spaces in between the house, and Oklahoma Flagstone and small Arizona Cobblestone by the pool equip. I think it looks pretty cool.

ftqJNaL.jpg

vWboiIS.jpg

Still dealing with the builder in regards to issues with the back raised wall. Hoping to come to a resolution soon so I can either lay down sod or get turf installed on the back and sides of the pool. We are not happy at all with the the backside of the wall. There is rebar sticking out, exposed gunite, cracks everywhere, water spots and a large crack from leaky fountain that I've been complaining about for some time now, the wall is lumpy, etc. It's just a mess. Have never had to deal with the BBB but am doing it now. It's just such a drag because we have such a beautiful pool and everything is seemingly perfect except this. I had to involve the BBB because builder was literally unresponsive after last draw was paid. Really really sucks. Aside from that one thing, the builder is awesome and built us such a beautiful pool.

xi9dknp.jpg

ZaXYhOS.jpg

d4O3mGU.jpg

kMvthmm.jpg

1RhSJBg.jpg

Why do you think you need a retaining wall? Did the rain water come up close or over the deck?

Kim

Father in-law works brick and mortar and he said we should have a retaining wall. So I figured I would ask the experts here :?

No rain water does not come close or over the deck.

That rock looks great there! Good choose! Keep the Roundup on hand to keep the weeds at bay and you should have a trouble free area!

Too bad about the back.........it is almost like he said "I have been paid so I am done". NOT finished at all fella! How has it been to deal with BBB? I hope it all gets worked out in the end.

I don't see a NEED for a retaining wall BUT if FIL............Does he just want to do one? Does he say why you should have one? I don't live there and have no idea of your water pattern when it rains so YOU are a much better judge of what you NEED.

Kim

That rock looks great there! Good choose! Keep the Roundup on hand to keep the weeds at bay and you should have a trouble free area!

Too bad about the back.........it is almost like he said "I have been paid so I am done". NOT finished at all fella! How has it been to deal with BBB? I hope it all gets worked out in the end.

I don't see a NEED for a retaining wall BUT if FIL............Does he just want to do one? Does he say why you should have one? I don't live there and have no idea of your water pattern when it rains so YOU are a much better judge of what you NEED.

Kim

Thanks for the reply!

I sprayed some Roundup all over before putting the rock down. In hindsight, I wish I would've laid something down that is more effective prior to putting the rock down to help with weeds, but, oh well.

As far as the wall, yea, it sucks. That's pretty much what happened; paid last draw and never heard back until I complained to the BBB. It's still ongoing at the moment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.