Pre Filter to save Carthridge Cleaning

anthon

Jul 4, 2015
laval, qc
Hi Guys ,

I have had my pool for 3 years now, and this summer i had to wash out my filter every few weeks to keep the pressure in the system at a reasonable levels.
My pool guy said the filters should last longer than 3 years and when he closes the pool for winter he will take some extra care in deep cleaning them.

What I noticed is every time i opened up the filter there was tons of debris in stuck in the filter. I live in a very wooded area and the winds seem to bring me a boat load of small pine needles (between 3/4 and 1inch long).

This needles go straight through the pump basket!

My pool guy said the filter get clogged cause of oils and stuff (and i noticed when i clean it that the walls of the filter are very oily) but Im sure pine needled stuck to filter "in water" are not helping to add to the problem.

I tried putting a nylon sock in my basked, it helped but i am afraid many of the needles sink down and get picked up through my bottom drain. ( i need a nylon sock for my pump!?)

Anybody know of some kind of pre-filter i can get that will pick up "large" debris before entering the filter cartridge? (i am told to add a sand filter, but it seems like a large pieces for such a small task, my shed is a bit tight)

I basically need a nylon "wall" before the pump entrance...

How big is your cartridge filter? How big is your pool? What type of auto cleaner do you use? (It helps if you add you your pool details to you signature)

Where are the oils coming from, sunblock?

Yes, in your case, a sand filter would probably be a better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also live in a very wooded area and get tons of leaves and pine needles. Even though I have a sand filter, I've thought about adding a coarse strainer type filter before the pump or between the pump and existing filter, but I don't know if cleaning that would be better than cleaning the existing filter.

If you do decide to go that route, please keep us informed on how it works for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.