Controlling 2.7HP A. O. Smith's V-Green variable speed pump motor with Intellitouch

The Intellitouch (and Easytouch) systems control the Pentair 3HP VS pumps by sending information down a serial cable. Looking at your link I do not see any such input or cable on the A.O. Smith Motor. They could easily turn the motor on or off, but I doubt that is all you are looking for.

A.O. Smith 2.7 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Square Flange - ECM27SQU - INYOPools.com

I looked at the manual in your link and it does talk about an RS485, 4 wire connection, but I can't see any info on how it works nor did I see any indication that this pump is externally controllable. I may have just missed it. It might be worth a longer read. (Update.. The RS485 com line allows the display and controls to be removed from the motor and mounted elsewhere by just making the cable longer.)

It also appears that this pump only allows three speeds.. you get to chose the speeds, but you only get three at any one time. Again, I just skimmed thru the manual.

Personally, if I planned to connect an Intellitouch to a pump, it would be the Intellifo, which is not much more money and it's a complete pump, not just the motor. But, you know what they say about "opinions"..

Jim R.

The link in your post is not working for me but my zodiac epump has an A.O smith motor and it has the 4 contact data cable that connects to my Z4. Not sure if the serial communication is universal or not I would call both Pentair and the seller of the motor before you buy.

Thanks Jimrahbe and atttech-2 and sorry for the bad link.

I agree with Jimrahbe's suggestion that Intelliflo is the best option. Unfortunately, I already own the pumps and replaced the motors last year (so it seems like a pretty big waste to just abandon them).

I am now following up with Pentair and the seller of the motors before committing (based on atttech-2's suggestion). Given atttech-2 was able to get a Zodiac z4 to control an A.O. Smith motor, I am starting to research whether a Zodiac system would be a better match.

Thanks again!

Several manufacturers use a version of the Century V-Green motor for their variable speed pumps. They even have similar connections in the electrical compartment. What matters is if they enable the drive software to be compatible with the automation.

As far as I know, Century configures the drive assemblies that they supply to manufacturers to only work with that manufacturer’s automation.

In other words, even though they are almost identical motors, Century does not make the drive assemblies compatible or interchangeable. There might be a way to make them work, but you would need to check with Century.

The pumps can be controlled by relays, but that is a workaround solution.

A.O Smith and Century were acquired by Regal Beloit in 2011.

One of the challenges going forward is that as people adopt automation and equipment becomes more intelligent, the automation might not cooperate with competing brands of equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.