chlorine levels

Oct 9, 2015
Charleston SC
As mentioned earlier, we have had the wettest two month period in Charleston history. I tested the water yesterday and the chlorine test did not come close to matching the pinkish color on the guage. all the colors were distincly darker. Does that mean too much or not enough chlorine

What kind of test are you using? I don't even own an OTO chlorine test so can't help.

We have certainly been deluged and I am once again going to pump out my pool this weekend unless we get more before then.

I suspect you are very low on chlorine if the OTO comparator view is very light in color. In addition, we really have no idea what your FC level should be since we don't know your current CYA. Remember, those two items go hand-in-hand together. Please post a full set of test results with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 and we'll be happy to check your numbers against the recommended levels for each area. Have a nice day.

I suspect you are very low on chlorine if the OTO comparator view is very light in color. In addition, we really have no idea what your FC level should be since we don't know your current CYA. Remember, those two items go hand-in-hand together. Please post a full set of test results with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 and we'll be happy to check your numbers against the recommended levels for each area. Have a nice day.

so if it is dark the chlorine is too high?

Again, without a complete set of numbers, there is no way to assist.

Please list in this format:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

FC ppm without the CYA ppm is somewhat meaningless.

I tested the water yesterday and the chlorine test did not come close to matching the pinkish color on the guage.
I am guessing at some of the things you are saying but there is no pink in an OTO chlorine test. Please look at the box and tell us what Taylor test you are talking about.

As mentioned earlier, we have had the wettest two month period in Charleston history. I tested the water yesterday and the chlorine test did not come close to matching the pinkish color on the guage. all the colors were distincly darker. Does that mean too much or not enough chlorine

OK, apparently you have the OTO kit. You are really losing us when you say chlorine and pinkish color in the same sentence. Look at this video and it may help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To the best of my ability.... I am a newbie at this. This is what I wrote down from yesterday's tests

cl - ??? who knows based on the pic above.
ph - 6.8
fc -65 drops *.05 = 3.25
cc - dependent on number 1?
ch - 18*25
ta - 6*10
cya 80-100

i jotted down the calculations, i dont have the instructions here with me now so i cant infer the final amounts. maybe someone can help me out.

In a nutshell i think i may have a screwed up mess?

Your FC results (if you used a 10 mL water sample) would be 65 drops * 0.5 to give 32.5 ppm. CC is not dependent on the FC, other than you have to add the drops to get the solution clear to get the FC, then add 5 drops of R-0003. At this point the solution will either remain clear (0 ppm CC) or will turn pink. Again, you add drops of R-0871 if it turns pink and use 0.5 ppm per drop to determine CC. Please review this thread with detailed instructions, as well as the instructions card provided with the kit: Extended Test Kit Directions

Your pH is a little concerning. Usually at high FC levels, the pH test reads higher than actual but the pH test itself is not valid when performed on water that has an FC of 10 or above.

Pete: Now that you have a great test kit, the only way to put it to good use is to arm yourself with the knowledge of how to maintain your pool and solve problems as they arise. I'm not sure how much time you've spent in Pool School but everything you need to know is in there. Start with the Getting Started section of Pool School, specifically: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Work your way into the Handy Reference section. Post your test results again, including the CC level. How does the water look? Cloudy? Murky? Can you spot heads or tails on a quarter at the bottom of the pool or tell if your main drain's screw heads are phillips or straight head just by looking from the pool deck? Is there debris on the bottom? When brushing, do you get clouds of fine material coming up from the bottom?

If your pool is crystal clear, then your FC is too high. If you're attempting to SLAM (see link in my signature) the pool because of an algae outbreak, cloudy pool or elevated CC level then your FC is about where it needs to be, depending on whether your CYA is 80 or 100. The CYA is not the easiest test to master but it can be repeated by dumping the sample mixture back into the mixing bottle, then dropping back into the measuring tube multiple times until you get a consistent result.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.