Sep 22, 2015
Kingsland, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello All!

First, I would like to thank all of you who Answer and post questions here! I have learned so much for y'all!

Ok, My wife and I have decided to do this pool thing and although I started with requesting quotes from three Pool Builders, I quickly realized I had more research to do before I could really pursue a Builder.

Here is what I got so far:
102' Perimeter Geometeric "L" Shaped pool
15,000 Gallons (just guessing)
28' 12" Raised Beam
4pc 1'4"x1'8" columns
9'x10"x9" d tanning ledge
3pc 3" or 4" water sheers
450 sf of new concrete w/ Sundek
130sf of Sundek over existing concrete

This design fits into the easement and deed restrictions per our POA and was layed out per my plot plan so I am pretty sure I won't be declined on design. Can some one pall park me $$? I was thinking around $38- 42K but BP disagrees. :-/

From what I have read so far, It seems it would be best to ask a few questions at a time so I will keep this post to two questions...

1. Like I mentioned earlier, I started with three builders but quickly eliminated two for various reasons. I like the one that is left but feel I am not doing myself justice with out any comparative input and pricing. Can anyone PM me some recomendations? I live near HWY 288 and Texas 6.

2.(a two fold question) Reading here, It seems like you all like a 2 speed pump for filteration and a smaller pump for water features and a self powered robot for cleaning. Pool builder suggests Pentair Intelliflo as the pump for filtering and water features but also suggests a Pentair Racer for the cleaning system. From what I read, the Racer requires a booster pump.

1. Would I be better off using a 2 speed pump for filtration and a booster pump for the racer and water feature(my guess is that I would not run the water feature while cleaning)?
or
2. Going with the Intelliflo for filtration and water features and get a self powered robot(dolphin or M4/M5) and save money on extra pressure line?

I attached a screenshot of my Sketchup model and would have attached my plot plan but the file is too big...

Thanks in advance and look forward to your answers!

Herb

Edit_ I just found out the Booster pump will be included in the cost of the Racer ( package deal?). PB has not told me the cost yet nor do I want to ask until I know what I want to do. So I guess the question now is- Will the Pentair Booster pump be able to handle the demand of the water feature so I can use t two speed pump? Secondary question is the Racer /Booster pump will most likely be on par with the cost of a robot. Which would be the better route? FYI, Our yard backs up to a grassy area around a retention pond. we don't find much air borne dust or dirt on the existing porch and we don't have any large trees around so I wouldn't expect much large debris in the pool.

Thanks for the comments already JamieP and Kmkats! We are pretty excited about the project!!
Herb

Last edited:
LOVE it! What a creative use of your yard!

Try using photo bucket for the plan.

I would call some more PB to see what they have to say..........I do not have any suggestions for who to call though.

Kim

My guess will be the 40's for the price.

For the raised wall, most PB's only quote for putting tile / stone on the wall facing the pool. Based on your layout, you may need finished surface on both sides on that raised wall facing the back fence.

Designwise, I love the clean design but I'm not sure about the L section that is partially in the side yard. Personally I would like to see the whole pool from my main seating area / patio and also from inside the house if possible.

I would highly recommend a robot for your cleaning. Booster pump cleaners are almost a thing of the past and a suction side cleaner has other issues in that folks report they don't "turn the corner" quite so well in L-shaped pools and may not provide the cleaning power you need in that size pool..

Unrelated comment to anything you asked. Do you have kids? I'm asking because from your primary sitting area (which I presume is behind the house by the tanning ledge) you can't see about 1/3rd of the pool due to the house corner. I know you have decking next to that side of the house but it's not large and likely isn't the most comfortable area to relax. Adding some patio area behind the raised wall may have some advantages. May not be an issue at all for you. Just a thought.

Thanks for the replies, y'all and sorry so late to respond back!

I was thinking $43K but got a verbal from one builder of $50... I did not get a formal quote from him but he is all about the upgrades! lol! I got another PB that I feel comfortable with that will be quoting me soon.

Dave, I agree that the robot is the best way to go for me as well. I've been snooping around here and have read quite a few of your responses and I sure appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

Philboyj & Bmoreswim, I agree with your assessment on the pool not being able to be seen from the sitting area but we have a 16" utility easement across the back yard and I am bumped up against it now. If the pool went across the back yard, it would be less than 8' wide... We are empty nesters with no grand kids yet but if we have quests in the pool, Either I or my wife Peg would be enjoying them play while relaxing on the tanning ledge or sitting on the bench across the back of the pool. I will try and upload my plot plan today so you can see my limitations and maybe you can make some idea suggestions

The new PB'er that I met with this week suggest using two pumps, one for filtration and one for the three water sheers. To me this makes sense as the first guy wanted to sell me a 3HP Intelliflo along with a Pentair Racer with a booster pump. To me, from the reading I have done here, is a lot of pump(s) for a small pool. Although he said the variable speed pumps are the wave of the future, He is a bit old school in getting the proper sized single speed pump for the pool size and design. He said he installed a variable speed pump on his personal pool and although found electrical usage savings on lower speeds, he found it better to bump up the speed to get water flow so he did not get algae growth in certain areas of the pool negating any cost savings.What do you all think?

Thanks again for the responses and I promise to monitor the thread more often!

I added I added some pictures but still trying to add my plot plan. Looks like I will need to convert it to a png file.

Herb[/IMG]

pool%20NW%20view_zps5md88b4e.jpg
[/URL]

Looks very nice with a great use of your space! Welcome!! We also have the same easement restriction you do, but ours is 17' off the back fence. However, it leaves us with about 15.6' to build. Minus 6" for gunite on each side, we'll have a 14.6' wide rectangular pool. We don't have the option of going L shaped because of the utilities.

Thanks Denise!
Yes, we don't have a lot of space to work with.I want to have the pool edge (where the water starts)to be 4' off the house and would like the pool to be around 5' in the deepest part. PB says that for every foot of depth, you need to be a foot away from the house otherwise I will need to have engineer do calculations and drawings at additional cost. I'm sure there will be addition pool cost(either thicker gunite, more steel rebar or both). I'm thinking maybe I could save those costs by having a larger radius or canted coping at the bottom. I really don't want the pool to be any narrower than 11'. Our next door neighbor just put a pool in an it is under 10' wide and although it looks nice, It also looks too small...

Herb

[URL="http://[/U

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.