Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build

Hello,

We are going to sign the contract on a pool soon. The quote has a peagravel deck (800 square feet of new decking to be added to my existing 900 square feet of spray deck) and my wife really likes travertine. So I found a company that would install the travertine over a slab at a good price so I was thinking of having the builder just lay a regular slab without the peagravel but drop the slab a couple of inches so the travertine decking would be installed level with the coping and my existing deck. any recommendations? It will be a SWG pool.

Phil
    Houston, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build

HI! Welcome to TFP! We would LOVE to see your design!

I am not sure about putting the travertine on top of a slab. Why not just put it like normal?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    HI! Welcome to TFP! We would LOVE to see your design!

I am not sure about putting the travertine on top of a slab. Why not just put it like normal?

Kim
    You mean have gravel base and put down?

22 x 36 ft. in ground Free Form Salt water pool; 8 x 8 raised spa; 3 ton Mossrock waterfall with its own Pentair Whisperflo 1.0 HP pump; Filter 60 sq ft Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter; Pentair Whisperflo Pump 2.0 HP for pool; Pentair MasterTemp Natural Gas Heater, 400k BTU; Polaris 280 w/ booster pump; Pentair Intellichlor IC40 Salt System; Ozone Joe Water Purification System; LED lights; bubbler on sunshelf

4. Back To Top    #4

https://flic.kr/s/aHskifExrZ

Pictures of proposed pool. Also it is a 7 X 7 hot tub. is that a good size hot tub?

5. Back To Top    #5

THAT is one pretty pool! NICE!

Yeah I am talking about putting it down like it is put down normally. I THINK that is with a gravel or sand base. I am not sure.

That is a good size hot tub. You might want to go sit in some hot tubs to get an idea of the size and what works for you and your family.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I've heard of it put on top of a concrete base before but I'm not sure if there is something that goes between the concrete and pavers. The guy who did it told me he chose to do it that way because of the shifting we get here in north Texas. If the concrete cracks you won't be able to tell, but it still provides more support to your pavers than a typical compacted base. I think planning ahead and lowering the slab to ensure your pavers lined up with the coping is exactly what you'd want to do.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    I've heard of it put on top of a concrete base before but I'm not sure if there is something that goes between the concrete and pavers. The guy who did it told me he chose to do it that way because of the shifting we get here in north Texas. If the concrete cracks you won't be able to tell, but it still provides more support to your pavers than a typical compacted base. I think planning ahead and lowering the slab to ensure your pavers lined up with the coping is exactly what you'd want to do.
    Jamie that is wonderful input! THANKS! Funny how things are done different in different areas of the world. What is nice is he explained WHY he did it that way!

Kim

8. Back To Top    #8

Also I was looking at the rolled edge option on hot tub. It looks nice but is it also more comfortable to sit in?

9. Back To Top    #9

The base under my travertine is stabilized sand topped with a thin layer of normal sand then swept with polymeric sand..
    As with all bases, preparation is key.
    A well compacted base is going to give a much more longevity to your deck.
    That said if I find in years to come that an area needs redoing, any area of travertine can be lifted and the stabilized sand broken up and relevelled.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir