SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
So, my neighbor decided she would shock her *very black* above ground 24x52" pool today. Well, she nuked it. :shock: She put in <according to her> 5 bags of burnout, 10 gallons of bleach and 2 lbs of BS all at once. :shock: All you can smell is chlorine when you walk near it. I took my test kit over and didn't even attempt to use the DPD kit because I knew the chlorine would be out of this world and I'm not gonna waste my supply on it so I used the K-1000 and the sample turned dark brown. :shock: I've heard it could turn dark brown but this was the first time I've ever seen it with my own two eyes. Her pH is way over 8.2 and her TA is 100. When I did the TA it went from green to blue to yellow and I counted 10 drops so I figured as long as it changed, it would be accurate. Should I tell her she needs to bring down the pH with some MA or wait til the chlorine disapates? That may take a long time though... I'm not sure. Should I tell her it needs to come down now with the outlandishly high CL? She won't be home tomorrow but I'm going to go back over and test it again with the k-1000. She knows I'm coming over.

I know it's not my pool but this is craziness. I'm just well... speechless other than what I just posted. :hammer: I'm concerned about that high pH right now and the effects on the liner and or pump. Should I be? Should I even care? :roll: Should I just watch her ruin it and to heck with it and hope the walls fall in? Cuz it might be better for the pool... if it weren't being tortured like that... :shock:

Git your popcorn.... :mrgreen: and a lawnchair.

Seriously, print off the article on Defeating Algae or "Turning your Green Swamp into a sparkling oasis" and give it to her. Or not, people that do that sort of thing tend not to want to take the time to learn about the proper way. She may have damaged her pool, only time will tell.

Disregard PH tests when chlorine is that high, as the high chlorine levels make the PH test read false-high. Wait till the chlorine is 10 or lower before testing/adjusting PH.

Do not believe the PH test, it will give dramatically wrong results when the FC level is very very high.

Trying to take care of a neighbors pool isn't always the best way to make friends. Sometimes it works out, but often the best policy is to stay out of it.

If it was your pool I would tell you to let the chlorine level come down naturally and make sure the filter is cleaned/backwashed as needed. Wait to do anything else until the FC level is below 10.

I figured I should wait because I knew of false positives with very high CL readings but wanted to make sure. Thanks guys.

She is a friend though. She just doesn't like to listen cuz she knows it all. :blah: I think I'll have my bag of popcorn handy though and just sit and watch. Might as well. She won't listen to me anyways. :roll:

I just think it's a shame. Oh well.

What about getting her to read some testimonies from members here and trying to find some posts with severe algae blooms in them and let her see pics of the changes in owners pools who are using the BBB method to keep their water balanced and more importantly crystal clear !

Im sure some of our mods could help you locate some of the posts with these types of pictures in them ...

I had a friend with a fiberglass pool who had severe metal stains. I explained to them about the site, and printed off Evan's instructions for removing the stains (Absorbic Acid treatment). They ignored my advice....instead choosing to go with the advice of the pool store. Hundres of dollars later, they still have stains.

Isn't it crazy when you spell it out and they still do their own thing?

She doesn't have internet service and I don't have any ink so I can't really help with running stuff off. Oh well. Maybe I should just butt out like Jason said. It ain't my pool! :hammer: Thank God! I'd have to drown her! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
I had a friend with a fiberglass pool who had severe metal stains. I explained to them about the site, and printed off Evan's instructions for removing the stains (Absorbic Acid treatment). They ignored my advice....instead choosing to go with the advice of the pool store. Hundres of dollars later, they still have stains.
Take a vitamin c tablet over to their pool and demonstrate for them how the stains disappear as if by magic.

waterbear said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Take a vitamin c tablet over to their pool and demonstrate for them how the stains disappear as if by magic.

When I told them that....they looked at me like I was nuts, and practically laughed in my face....they can keep their stains. :mrgreen:

I can tell when people are receptive or not. I start out with my main source of sanitizing is bleach and if they give me the "you put BLEACH IN YOUR POOL? :shock: :shock: :shock: " I explain a bit to see how receptive they are.

I guess we can all sit back and laugh in our beautiful stain-free BBB pools then.

Anyone care for a drink? :cheers: :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.