Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: black fiberglas pool turning white

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up black fiberglas pool turning white

This Leisure pool started turning white after the first year.Acid will not touch the stain. The pool was winterized last year with the ph at 6 and by Spring - no change. The pool ONLY is affected..none of the fixtures, skimmer, jets and light bezels are affected. My suspicion is faulty gel coat as the staining is very uneven and, in spots, almost in a straight line goes from heavy to light - even above the water line.
    Manufacturer, to date, has been no help. Anybody else experiencing this problem??
    Jim in Oshawa, Canada

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: black fiberglas pool turning white

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have water test results?

Is it possible calcium scale?

What do you use to chlorinate?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ph 7.6. Chlorine from a salt unit. Salt less than 3000ppm. TA. 110 PPM
    Definitely not calcium....muriatic has no effect..even full strength. If it was calcium ALL parts of pool would be affected including heater core,skimmer.light and return bezels but they are all clear. Mfgr tried to say it was salt but if that was the case ALL fiberglass boats in the ocean would be white within a year! Have heard of other fiberglass pools doing this but short of sanding have not heard of a solution or cause other than faulty gelcoat. Leading edge of swimmers ledge and leading edge of steps are still black...these are areas where gelcoat is thickest because of way gelcoat is sprayed on during manufacturing process.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are able post, some pictures.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

same here!!! my leisure pool has been building up the same coat you speak of for going on three years now. I've done EVERYTHING -to no avail! - short of a drain and acid wash (Fiberglass we don't dare drain!!!!!) I haven't gone to the manufacturer YET but there seems to be a common issue with Leisure Pools. Very disturbing indeed....
    14300 gallon IG fiberglass Leisure Pool, Aqua Comfort SWG, Pentair 1.5 hp dual-speed WhisperFlo, Sta-rite Posi-Clear PXC150 cartridge filter, Jandy Model EE-Ti heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

To tim 5055 and/or wasp...I have excellent pics of this white pool but as I'm new to this forum you'll have to coach me with step by step instructions as to how I can post them on this thread.
    Thanks