high CH

TJTJ

Oct 18, 2015
Orinda, California
I received my tf-100 test kit. high CYA and CH. CYA matched pool store. CH at store has always been 250 for last 5 years. I tested for the last 3 days and has always tested at ~ 500. Hard to believe the ppm is that much of a difference. Also am curious why the store has consistently gave me a reading of 250 ppm. Any thoughts? thanks.

Their test did not go high enough? They did not know how to do the test? Who knows. I am VERY surprised the CYA was even close. Did they at least tell you it was high and how to "fix" it?

You have found out why we like to test our own water. Good job!

Kim

Its highly unlikely that your CH has not budged in 5 years. Do they use drops or strips to test the CH? What have you been using to add chlorine to the pool? If you use Cal-hypo granules your CH will go up. Have you ever tested the CH of the fill water? If the water source you use to top off the pool has any CH at all your CH in the pool would rise over time since CH does not evaporate. Instead it concentrates in the remaining water and accumulates until you drain and dilute the concentration with fresh, lower CH water. That is why so many pools in drought areas are fighting high CH levels, they are not allowed to drain and refill their pools.

I'm thinking either the store uses a strip to test or they don't test CH correctly. Have you ever watched them do the tests?

As far as the CYA being at 125; they said it would fix itself this rainy season.
I never watched them closely perform the tests. I have been using the 3 inch tabs over the past year plus. I believe why it ran up to 125 recently.
Been using cal - hypo forever it seems. I understand now my CH should have been climbing. Maybe they tell everyone it is 250. I no longer use cal hypo or 3 inch pucks. At this point I'm just hoping for lot's of rain so I can lower CYA and CH. Thanks, TJ

CYA is only 125?

Is that a guesstimate, or was it done by diluting the sample 50-50 and doubling the result? You will note the graduations on the CYA view tube are not equidistant. What you think is 125 is more likely closer to 200.

Replacing water with rainwater is the cheapest solution to your overloaded pool water. I've directed one of the gutter downspouts on my house into my pool. Actually, into the spa, which serves as a settling basin for any dust that comes along. I gain about 3X that way--- 1" of rain will replace 3" of water in my pool. As my average depth is 60", that's a 5% reduction in CH and CYA for ever inch of rain. I wish I could collect more.

CYA is only 125?

Is that a guesstimate, or was it done by diluting the sample 50-50 and doubling the result? You will note the graduations on the CYA view tube are not equidistant. What you think is 125 is more likely closer to 200.

Replacing water with rainwater is the cheapest solution to your overloaded pool water. I've directed one of the gutter downspouts on my house into my pool. Actually, into the spa, which serves as a settling basin for any dust that comes along. I gain about 3X that way--- 1" of rain will replace 3" of water in my pool. As my average depth is 60", that's a 5% reduction in CH and CYA for ever inch of rain. I wish I could collect more.

I've since lowered to 90. I initially did the diluted sample multiplied by 2. I gave a sample to the pool store and they came up with same reading. For some reason we get same results on CYA, not so on CH test. Ingenious of you routing rain from downspout to pool. Mine are to far away :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.