Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What the heck is this plumbing?

1. Back To Top    #1

What the heck is this plumbing?

Hello all. I am a neophyte pool owner, and I am trying to figure out where my plumbing is going. I have followed the green to crystal clear thread to reclaim my pool, but I am seeing debris return when I vacuum and I have no idea where it is coming from. Can anyone tell me where these lines may come from? I have two pipes in my single skimmer, as well as a main drain, but I'm not sure what is going on as far as plumbing. Here is a pic of my suction side plumbing.

Thanks!

Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What the heck is this plumbing?

Welcome!

Regardless of the plumbing, if the filter pump is also the pump you use when you vacuum, the problem is within the filter. You don't have a multiport valve. There's no way something can bypass the valve. Therefore, debris is bypassing the filter. Odds are something isn't seated properly or you have a torn pleat on the cartridge. Any filter that's working properly will strain out anything big enough to see with the naked eye.

Time to open it up and have a look.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    Any filter that's working properly will strain out anything big enough to see with the naked eye.
    320 makes a universal point that all newbies need to read and remember.

The pipes in front of your pump allow you to select between skimmer, MD, and perhaps a dedicated suction line. Should be easy to find out which is which as soon as you get a new handle.

The pipe exiting from the top of your pump obviously goes into the filter and then exits and passes through a chlorinator before returning to the pool.

Any filter that's working properly will strain out anything big enough to see with the naked eye.
    320 makes a universal point that all newbies need to read and remember. (said it twice because it's that important.)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Mine was broken pleats as mentioned above the only time debris ever returned.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all! I pulled the filter cap and gave the filter a cursory inspection the other day, but I was in a hurry and will give it a thorough inspection this weekend the good news is that the pool is vastly improved already. Of course now it's pouring nonstop... :/