Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this plug ok ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this plug ok ?

So normally my PB winterized for me, but this year he has not been available, plus I would love to save the $$

Only question I really have left is the plugs for the skimmers, I seem to have 2 kinds...the big black rubber plugs, and then these. These look like they were used for the "return" lines, seems like I take off the eyeballs and then the screw in adapter and these plugs screw in nicely. Looks like the O-Ring is the only thing prevent water from getting in as the threads are not that deep, but I assume these were made for this purpose.

If I should buy some more of the black rubber plugs, just let me know!

14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this plug ok ?

I use those plugs for the skimmers and the black ones for the returns. Others may do it the opposite. I found that the o ring on the plug in the pic seats better on the flat bottom of the skimmer boxes.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like I should go get some black rubber plugs, just to be safe.
    Thanks,
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

I would just try what you have first. They must of worked for the previous owner since they came with the pool.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

5. Back To Top    #5

To seal skimmer I use a plug like that, why not? There's no guarantee any plug will 100% work. Just make sure you use a Gizzmo.
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by samt View Post
    I use those plugs for the skimmers and the black ones for the returns. Others may do it the opposite. I found that the o ring on the plug in the pic seats better on the flat bottom of the skimmer boxes.
    Same experience as Samt. I would use the black rubber plugs all the way around if you can. Yes, there is no 100% guarantee with anything, but once you plug up the skimmer or return, it is apparent if there are air leaks. You could use the threaded kind for the skimmer as it is flush, but I like the Gizmo's as they expand.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

7. Back To Top    #7

I use that for the return and I have a square thing I use for the skimmer so no water gets in the slimmer causing it to crack when the water freezes

Beacon, NY installed June 2011 8000k gal 18x52 round vinyl AG 150 sf cartridge filter 1.5 hp proline pump, aquabot rover hybrid cleaning machine tf-100 test kit and aqua check test strips. Pool school.