Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta-rite heater troubleshooting help

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta-rite heater troubleshooting help

Hi,

I have a StaRite SR200 and the Service Heater led is on, as well as an led (on the control board) that I can't find a description for. It is located next to the Max Temperature Set button. Can someone please tell me what that led is (it is the only one on)? Thanks so much in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sta-rite heater troubleshooting help

20151107_141004.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If I'm not mistaken, that's just the service heater LED that you see from the top panel. So is the heater working at all or not? If you power cycle the unit, turn breaker on/off, does it boot back up and turn on? NO error code on the display?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi ps303 and thanks for the reply. No error codes displayed and no other leds lit. Power cycled and same thin happens. It comes on, water temp shown after power up, heating led blinking yellow, then steady, blower working, gas kicks on, then about 10 secs later gas kicks off, then about 30 secs later the Service Heater led lights. No other indications.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I'm guessing you have propane gas out there in Seffner? If so, check to make sure you have gas in the tank.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

No, it's a natural gas system

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I wonder if you have water in the can. Take one of the bottom bolts out of the header and see if water comes out. If you have water in the can it would act like this and then it also means you have a hole(s) in the heat exchanger and I would replace the heater.
    Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

I actually had the manifold off yesterday to replace a broken bypass valve. Problem still persisted after replacement and there wasn't any water coming out when I took it off. Do I take the bolt out while the pupm is running?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

If you had the manifold off and you didn't have water coming out then the heat exchanger is good. How did the thermal regulator look?

I'm guessing this unit is the older one. It has a black air orifice on the blower?
    Paul

10. Back To Top    #10

Not sure what the thermal regulator looks like. It is an older one, not sure how old tho (2nd owner of the house).

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

You should have seen it when you replaced the bypass. It's right there.
    Paul

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, did'nt really even look at it. what would make it look "bad"?

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Bad means, corroded, rusted, broken. If you remove it, then heat like a long match, BBQ lighter or so will cause the element to move up and down if its good. Also, is your filter clean?

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok thanks for the description. Yes, the filter is clean, I just back-washed and replaced the DE.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I usually remove it and using a pair of pliers, hold it over the heaters exhaust while the unit is running and see if it opens and closes like it should. However, lots of times you can see visually that it's so messed up that it's not working.
    Paul

16. Back To Top    #16

There is NO thermal regulator assembly there. The cap is there but nothing else! ??? I fished my finger in there and could only feel the inside of the manifold. How was it working before without one? Yikes.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Well that might tell you there was something wrong with the unit and instead of finding the issue they just took a short cut to resolve it. I'm not sure this would resolve your issue, but you really should have that regulator in place.
    Paul

18. Back To Top    #18

I agree, and will have the regulator installed. Clearly the previous owner's pool service did them (or me now lol) no favors in fixing it properly. BTW left a message for you on your voicemail ps0303. Thanks.