Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing with water temp above 60f

1. Back To Top    #1
    Athens, Georgia

Closing with water temp above 60f

There's no way I could have waited until my water temps are below 60f. My pool would be half full with leaves.

I raised FC to shock levels and covered. Am I going to uncover a swamp in the spring?

As I drive around town, most of the pools I can see from the street were closed before mine. I had no interest in keeping my open any longer, we haven't swam in 6 weeks. Nobody will get in when the water temp is below 80f!
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Closing with water temp above 60f

Am I going to uncover a swamp in the spring?
    Impossible to say. We base our suggestions on what seems to work well for others and the choice is yours to decide what's best for you.

I chose not to close my pool at all and I'll match leaf accumulation with just about anyone that's my choice but it is not the choice of many others.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Oxford, MD 21654

I'm further up north in Maryland. My pool has been staying around mid 60's for about the past 6 weeks.
    About the first of Oct, when leaves started falling I made sure my pool was balanced then brought it up to shock level.
    I brushed and put cover on. I have been running the filter and swg, but I check my chlorine every couple of days to keep fc about 15. When the water drops below 60 and stays, I will pull the cover back and drain, blow lines and winterize.

Viking Cancun 14000 gal, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward SP26SP pump, Hayward AquaRite T-9 Salt System

4. Back To Top    #4

you should be OK if the chemical levels were right at closing. Now is the time to start the countdown to pool day OPENING.
    24' X 54" round AGP with Uni-Bead Portofino Liner - 25 Gauge, partially in-ground. Hayward Perflex EC-40 D.E. Filter System 1-HP Power-Flo Pump. Installed Spring 2014.

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

You need to open the pool in a timely manner and not wait til it gets hot. When you do that, you breed algae. Open the pool in March and you should be fine considering you closed the pool with good numbers and zero algae.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter