New Homeowner / Pool owner in SoCal

Nov 6, 2015
Vista, CA
My gosh, there is a lot to learn about this stuff. I'm slowly taking it all in and am happy to have found this forum! Still making my way through the pool school, but thought I'd throw down my first post.

Just bought a house last Friday. The former owners didn't take the best care of this saltwater pool, but I am trying to get it in shape. New salt cell, new filters, scrubbing the walls. There was some algae on the walls and he was only running it 3 days a week. I'm now running it 4 1/2 hours a day to start and am waiting on the Taylor K-2006 to arrive so I can start diagnosing things.

In the meantime, I do have some algae staining in a couple areas that I can't seem to get rid of (just by scrubbing), but was waiting to tackle those after I can test the pool levels and get things going.

Here is a picture and please excuse my newbie miscues...

Thank you in advance to all of you for answering my future questions!!!
View attachment 43813
View attachment 43812

HI! WOW that is such a pretty pool! I bet you bought the pool and a house just happen to come with it!

For the stains try putting a chlorine puck on it and see if that helps. If not you can crush up some cheap vit. C tablets, put them in a sock and let it sit on the stain. Let us know which one does the trick and we can go from there.

Kim

Welcome! :wave:

I actually know where Vista is. I've been to the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum several times.

Stains may well be algae embedded in Calcium scale. Or some genius used a copper-based algaecide. First try setting a couple smashed up Vitamin C tablets on the stain. Just the cheapest uncoated plain ones you can find or beg from a pill-popping friend or relative. If it leaves a white spot behind, it's metals. If not, the next thing to try is a trichlor puck. Some pool stores sell them singly, or you can find a pool service or a neighbor who has a bucketful. Set it on for half an hour or so and see what it looks like. If it fades, it's likely organic and time and adequate free chlorine will make it disappear over time. Pucks are very acidic, so they will also erase metals, which is why you try the Vitamin C first. And don't leave the puck sitting there for longer than half an hour. The concentrated acidity will etch the plaster. I'd probably even push it aside with the pool brush after fifteen minutes to see if it was enough time.

On a lighter note... when you get your test kit, ignore the Taylor instructions and follow Extended Test Kit Directions where you can. .5 resolution is plenty good for FC, and you don't need as much powder as they say, either. Also assume the CH is going to be high and do the test with the 10 ml sample.