Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is clorox performance bleach the same as clorox regular?

1. Back To Top    #1

is clorox performance bleach the same as clorox regular?

costco started carrying clorox "performance" I cant find any info on it that distinguishes it from the regular. Is this just a marketing change?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is clorox performance bleach the same as clorox regular?

I'm not seeing anything unusually different or better with this type of Clorox. It's primary ingredient is still Sodium Hypochlorite, about 8.3%. The MSDS can be found HERE. This page breaks-down some of the "other" ingredients: The Clorox Company | Products | Ingredients Inside | Clorox High Efficiency Regular Bleach (Concentrated). We're always careful about a product that tends to package additional ingredients to "enhance" it's cleaning abilities. Looks like another product marketed that regular "generic" bleach will do just fine.... and probably cheaper
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

They don't have an MSDS on line for that specific product name, so I would avoid it.

At least in my area the Clorox at Costco is more expensive than the generic at WalMart or Dollar General.

*********On Edit

Pat cheated and used a state site to find the MSDS.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought some of this Performance Bleach today at Costco -- I'm used to getting my bleach there and I did not notice at the time that it was not labelled "Regular". I'm looking here at bottles of the old "Regular" and the new "Performance". The only difference I see on the labels is that "Performance" is 8.3% Sodium Hypochlorite compared to 8.25% for the "Regular". I hope that's all it is. I sent an email to Clorox to ask if they are the same stuff. I'm not putting it into the pool until I'm sure.
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Came here searching for this same question. Saw the performance bleach at Costco. Please update if Clorox tells you anything about the product.
    17,000 gallon in-ground plaster (circa 1985) | Tagelus 60 Sand Filter | Whisperflo WFE-3 3/4 hp (1.25HP/1.67SF) | 1.5" plumbing, 17psi normal | TF-100 Test Kit | Liquidator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by busbeepbeep View Post
    Came here searching for this same question. Saw the performance bleach at Costco. Please update if Clorox tells you anything about the product.
    My wife will tell you I'm Costco's biggest fan, but I won't buy my bleach there. The sell a 3 pack for about $9.50 when I can get them at Dollar General for $2.95 each.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

3 pack of 121 at that. I still get 2 packs of 128/10% for $7.00 at the grocery store's pools section.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Has anybody found the answer I did too bought clorox performance bleach at sams club does anyone know if I can use it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just got this from Clorox:

"Thank you for remaining in contact with our team. We truly apologize for the delay in our response time. After reaching out to our team members, we would like to confirm that Clorox Performance bleach is the exact same formula as our Clorox Regular Concentrated Bleach."
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Marketing and branding names. It's amusing they list one as 8.3 versus 8.25%.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Marketing and branding names. It's amusing they list one as 8.3 versus 8.25%.
    Yes, that is amusing. Perhaps since Costco has a high turnover of bleach, they can claim that extra 0.05%, since as we here all know, bleach degrades with time.

12. Back To Top    #12

bleach isn't normally a big marketing item I wouldn't think, so 0.05% could be all they needed to draw the extra person to buying their product )
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks to the magic of rounding, there is no difference between 8.25% and 8.3%. Now, if they had claimed 8.30%...

Surely the same overpaid marketing genius that rebaptized regular as performance is capable of rounding 8.25 to 8.3.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

14. Back To Top    #14

Received an update from Clorox for my followup...
    Hello JR,

Thank you for reaching out to us at Clorox.

We are happy to share some details on the differences between our Clorox Performance and Regular Concentrated bleaches. Our Regular Concentrated Bleach contains 8.25% sodium hypochlorite, while the Performance bleach contains 8.30%.

If you have a bottle of Clorox Performance Bleach you may use it the same way you would use our Regular Concentrated Bleach, the main difference is the slightly higher level of sodium hypochlorite and Performance Bleach is specifically packaged for commercial use (indicating kill claims) and is only available at club stores like Sam's.

We hope this clears things up! Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Consumer Services

I received this from Clorox. Still waiting to hear back on a follow-up about why if it is the same as Regular Bleach they do not recommend it. I have found a thread on Clorox where they do recommend Regular Bleach.
    (04/08/2016 10:37 AM)
    Hello JR,

Thank you for contacting us.

The only difference between the formula of Clorox Performance Bleach and Clorox Regular Concentrated is:

• Clorox Performance Bleach contains 8.30% sodium hypochlorite
    • Clorox Regular Concentrated Bleach contains 8.25% sodium hypochlorite

The Performance Bleach is also packaged for commercial use (indicating organism kill claims) versus the Regular Bleach is packaged for home use. We do not recommend you use the performance bleach in the pool.

We hope this answers all your questions. Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
    Consumer Services
    JR Hayward (04/08/2016 07:35 AM)
    I bought something called Clorox Performance Bleach which is evidently sold in box stores only. I cannot find any reference to it on your web site. What is the difference between Regular Concentrated and Performance? I use the Regular in my pool and want to know if I can use the Performance as well.
    Last edited by jrhayward; 04-25-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: More info
    20,000 Gallon Indoor Plaster Pool
    Pentair Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

So it seems the Performance bleach is the same? I sure hope so.....I just bought 6 cases of the stuff from BJs.

From the responses above, it seems it just a marketing term.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

16. Back To Top    #16

While I love Costco and put up with Sam's because our new Costco won't open until this summer I never buy my bleach there. At least in our local club stores a bleach 3 pack is $9.50ish. I can get 3 generic 8.25% bottles from Dollar General for $8.85 ($2.95ea), saving almost a dollar. I use about 3 gallons a week, so those dollars add up over the summer....

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    While I love Costco and put up with Sam's because our new Costco won't open until this summer I never buy my bleach there. At least in our local club stores a bleach 3 pack is $9.50ish. I can get 3 generic 8.25% bottles from Dollar General for $8.85 ($2.95ea), saving almost a dollar. I use about 3 gallons a week, so those dollars add up over the summer....
    It was $9 for a 3 pack at our local BJs club. Since I just use it for spring startup (for a SLAM and enough to maintain FC until the water is warm enough to turn on the SWCG), the extra cost is worth the convenience (BJs always has the quantity I need).
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

18. Back To Top    #18

"We do not recommend you use the performance bleach in the pool."

Sheesh, I thought this was cleared up a few months ago. I can report that I have used a few jugs of the Performance Bleach, and I cannot detect any difference from Regular Bleach.

19. Back To Top    #19

It was this was resurrected from back in November.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Haha I almost bought some today at Costco, but wanted to check in with y'all 1st. $8.89 for a 3 pack over here in Roseville.
    15K gal IG, 3/4 HP Hayward pump, C3000 cartridge filter, H400ID heater, Polaris 360 pressure side pool sweep, K-2006 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast