Water supply on low speed for sheet water fall features

Jun 22, 2010
Want to upgrade my pump because my current 2 speed Jandy set up does not supply enough flow for my three cascading waterfalls. Currently have Jandy stealth 1 hp with 2 speed B2982 1.0/0.13 HP motor. THis was an upgrade I did in 2012 after the original motor bearings failed. I kept the pump and replaced the motor with the two speed and an Intermatic 106 two speed timer. Now this motor has failed (probably the TOP or windings after a lightning storm - it starts but shuts off).

So my lines are 2" with 5 returns, and these three 8" waterfalls coming out of an 18" high wall along the length of the pool. On high speed (1 hp) the returns and waterfalls all have enough pressure but on low I have to shut off one of the water falls else they dribble down the wall. The pump sits about 30 feet away on a slab approximately level with the returns.

So issues I am wrestling with: Would upgrading to a 1 1/2 horse power two speed pump provide an increase in flow to address the low speed pressure to the water falls?

2) Thinking about changing the entire pump/motor from Jandy Stealth to perhaps Hayward or Pentair. Pentair seems to be well liked except as a self-installer they only provide 60 days of warranty. I like what I read about the SuperFLo. DOn't want anything like an intlliflo due to frequency of lightning storms here in North Texas. Having two AO Smith motors fail since 2006 I would like to see if there is a more dependable motor out there...ha ha...

So will an increase in horsepower make sense and which brand do you guys feel is most reliable? I like the two speed to keep the pool running slo most of the day, high for 3 to 4 hours during summer to keep the cleaner and filtration moving. Variable speed motors of course would allow me to tweak the low end speed but can't risk the sensitive electronics due to lighting storms.

One other thing: it is not clear if all 230volt 2 speed pumps allow operation using a 2 speed timer (L1/L2/ Common) or if some only have an actual manual switch. I already have the Intermatic 106 two speed switch wired in.

Thanks

I'm running a Pentair Intelliflow 3 hp 011018 pump. We have huge lightning storms here in Tucson during monsoon season. What I have done is install a whole house surge protector (Eaton CHSPT2-Ultra) at my main power panel, and a second smaller one (Square D SDSA1175) on the sub panel supplying the pump and other pool equipment. Before, I had problems with blown fuses and fried electronics. This seems to have solved my problems. Total cost for both was less than $150. Of course, these like all surge protectors are consumable devices. They both have LEDs on them that indicate when they are depleted. They usually last for many years, but a large surge from a single lighting strike could deplete them (and save me thousands of dollars in damage to sensitive electronics). So I check them regularly and will replace as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.