Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cyanurics

1. Back To Top    #1

Cyanurics

I came across this 1997 paper entitled Cyanurics - Benefactor or Bomb? by Kent Williams (attached)

I'm wondering if this paper has previously been critiqued by our experts and what might it's relevance be in the light of current knowledge on the subject?
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cyanurics

It's "old hat" and has been discussed on here more than once.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

As duraleigh mentions, the paper has be discussed on multiple occasions.

CYA Article found by Kent Williams EXecutive Director of PPOA
    Health department rules on FC/CYA ratios

you can find many more by typing Kent Williams into the search box at the top right corner of the page.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just the title should tell you all you need to know about the balance of science versus scare tactics and reading the article and examining the science plays that out. I despise throwing provocative terms such as "bomb" into articles intended on scientific evaluation, so much so that for me, it renders them immediately exposed as laden with bias because the author chose to use them.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Also see Effective CYA. The bottom line is that the article has a lot that is correct and some things that are wrong and others that are misleading. If you don't want to read the entire thread, then look at the last post I wrote in that thread.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for pointing out the misleading nature of that paper. And thanks especially chem geek for directing me to the links.
    I'm new to this forum. I don't have a pool but each of my neighbours have SWG outdoor pools and I have taken a bit of an interest in them, which is growing as I spend more time searching this site. I graduated M.Sc in Chemistry but that was over 50 years ago so it's taking me a bit of effort to refresh my memory banks and get to grips with current pool water chemistry principles. i have found the quality of the scientific discussions is generally excellent.