Hi, hopeful first time buyer

Oct 29, 2015
Houston
Hi everyone. First time buyer here so I have tons of questions that I'm hoping I can get advice on.

I didn't have the foresight initially when I bought my house so I didn't care much for having a large backyard so I purchased a home with a pretty odd shaped yard.
Now, after living here in Houston for a year and having to suffer through the summer, I realized I really want a pool but since I have limited space, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

After doing some research, i learned about semi-inground pools and DIY pool kits. I'm not allowed a regular above ground per my HOA. It seems the doughboy pools go as deep as any DIY Kit so I can't really see a difference between the 2. Does anybody know the pros and cons of each? Theyre priced around the same from what i can tell. Here's a google earth shot of my house

View attachment 43799
the red lines are where the underground utility lines so I can't really build a pool there. Since we don't really use the deck, I figured I can just build a pool right smack in the middle of it like so
View attachment 43800
I would ideally like something a little bigger but I believe that I need about 2 ft of space on all 4 sides of the pool? It looks like I can only fit a 12x20? I don't see any 14x20s out there from my research so far

I'm fairly handy so I'd be ok with a DIY project but I'm trying to weigh out the cost of having an installer come out and handle everything or just parsing out jobs like excavating/electrical/gas/etc. Any thoughts on that? Also, if anyone has done a project like this in Houston, I'd love some referrals.

Thanks in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.