Run Pump and SWG with a cover throughout Winter

May 25, 2014
Summerdale, AL
I have decided to run my pump and SWG throughout our Winter here in the deep South. We don't get very many really cold, cold days either. But, I want to cover the pool to keep out leaves and dirt and such. Do I need to bring my chlorine levels up to shock level or just leave it balanced? Also, what will the chlorine levels do since the pool will be covered and won't get any sunlight? Do I still need to test the water periodically? I did not cover the pool last Winter and had a lot of debris and leaves to clean up when opening this past Summer. Just trying to avoid that but don't want to have to deal with green water either.

SWGs will not make chlorine in cold water. The actual shut off temp varies, but mine gets pretty unreliable with water temp in the 60s. I usually turn it off and switch to bleach when the water gets in the 60s. The colder water will use much less chlorine, even less with a cover. I usually test weekly once the water gets into the 50s and below. I don't use a cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.