WOW! Back under control after pool flooded (pics)

Pisces

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
League City, Texas
Yesterday we had very heavy rain all afternoon that caused some area flooding and overflowed my pool...it all drains very well normally, but no way it could keep up with the unusual downpour. It was almost like Hurricane Ike on my street again water-wise. Eeek. Some mulch and dirt was washed back into the pool and it looked kinda ugly and murky with debris by 6:00 when the rain slacked off. I checked FC and added some bleach -10 oz short (had run out)-but DH had accidentally added an extra 10 oz the day before, so that worked out well. I'm estimating we went from FC of 8.5 in the morning (didn't test) down to 5. The pumps and cleaner ran from 5 to 11 pm. Didn't do anything else.

This morning, I tested everything but CH.

FC: 7.5
CC: .5 (it barely turned pink, so I counted it anyway)
TC: 8.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 80
CYA: 70-75
Salt: 2580 (down from 3310 two days ago)

Today, added more bleach, MA and salt. The water looks amazingly clear and sparkly, to my complete delight! :-D Last night, I was thinking I had a big mess on my hands, but was pleasantly surprised. Just a little tweaking and cleaning was all I needed. My TA has steadily dropped from 130 two months ago after the initial fill, to 80 today. It was at 110 a week ago. Lots of acidy rain. I'll keep monitoring that weekly. I've added MA about every other day to keep pH at 7.6 (curing PebbleSheen). Using bleach until we can turn on the SWG (it needs to be calibrated - was reading "low salt" earlier this week, and I knew my salt levels were high enough, so Pentair will check it).

The whole point of this post is to say thank you VERY much, TFP. Thanks to you guys, I'm not standing over my pool just scratching my head with a dumb look on my face not knowing what to do next :roll: . This is my first pool, and dang, I just feel so GOOD about everything I've learned here, so much more in control of my pool, and testing with my TF-100 kit is a breeze. :goodjob: It's made me a much happier and informed pool owner. If I can learn this stuff, anybody can.

Pool is overflowing - water above waterline tiles and over coping

P4191533.jpg

P4191531.jpg

Today

P4191542.jpg

P4191540.jpg

:whoot:

You have taken control of your pool and even something as daunting as that didn't rattle your cage :mrgreen:

Having gained the knowledge and knowing help is here if you need it removes 'panic' from the equation 8)

Your pool is beautiful.

............where are those firebowls?

Thank you Jason, Butterfly and FPoolMom!! Yep, I know that I can always ask for help and get the straight scoop here to handle any future situations. :mrgreen: PLUS, I just love reading all the other earlier posts and articles...I learn a lot there. I honestly can't tell you how much the confidence you guys have given me to protect my investment and make life easier means to me. I was doing the happy dance today!

Butterfly...just for you...I'm posting an early pic of the *one* firebowl we just finished today. We still have to get the guts and the lava rock. I took the copper bowl off the fire pit I bought earlier (didn't like the wrought iron-looking base afterall) and made cast concrete ball feet with these cheap molds I found, then painted them with a "stone look" outdoor spray paint, and sealed them and the bowl. I got the idea from the "Grand Effects" website. I'm going to really like them!! I'll put up some more pics when I add the lava rock and it's all pretty. :wink:

P4201545.jpg

P4201548.jpg

Butterfly said:
Be still my heart!

Gorgeous! I love your fire bowls and can't wait to see them fired up.

Seems I'm starting to sound a little like a fire bug :slidehalo:

Will be awaiting the finished pix :lol:

Ha!! I've got a little of the firebug in me, too. :twisted: I think I'm gonna have to get an extra job to pay for the fire rings and electronics, tho... :lol: Thank you!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.