Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: mini Pebble or Quartz plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Walnut, CA

mini Pebble or Quartz plaster

Mini pebble or quartz plaster for my in ground salt water system pool. Please help me decide.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: mini Pebble or Quartz plaster

What look are you going for? Why these two to pick from?

We need to know a little more about what you are thinking and looking for.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Houston tx

+1 what Kim said. And Welcome to TFP!
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4
    Bixby, Ok

We met with our PB yesterday and in talking about pool finishes ( they use Gemstone) he told us not to go with the Quartz because it leeches calcium badly. I have no idea if that applies to ALL Quartz or if it is JUST the Gemstone Quartz line. Something to ask about though as I would imagine you wouldn't want to create a problem for yourself.

Welcome me to the BEST pool site! TFP is a wealth of knowledge and full of friendly, helpful people.
    We have WATER!!! IG 17.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14700 gal, 2 skimmer, 2 Hayward LED lights, Hayward Echostar VSP,2 fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa,1 Hayward LED light, 6 jets, 2hp blower, DE Progrid70 filter, SWG Goldline System, OmniLogic automation, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!!!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Annapolis, MD

I'm glad you posted this question, kurikang1 -- I'm struggling to decide myself. I think that the all of the finishes are basically plaster with different aggregates mixed in. For instance, DiamondBrite = plaster + quartz aggregates, PebbleTec = plaster + pebble aggregates, etc, where plaster is cement + polymers. Perhaps the polymer additives to the different plaster bases make some finishes more durable?

As far as calcium leaching, I believe this can be prevented with proper water chemistry (thank you, TFP Pool School!!!)

Calcium Hardness

• This is the amount of calcium in your water and is most important if you have a plaster pool (marcite, exposed aggregate, quartz, etc.). It is not as important in vinyl pools. In fiberglass pools it helps prevent staining and cobalt spotting. Too high a calcium level can lead to scaling and cloudy water, too low can damage plaster surfaces. The recommended range is between 200-400 ppm for both plaster and fiberglass. It really is not an issue for vinyl pools unless it is very high. Anything above about 130 ppm is probably ok for vinyl and above 200 ppm for fiberglass. If there is a warranty on your pool or liner that specifies a calcium level then follow that to keep your warranty! It is tested with a titration (drop count) test that changes color from pink to blue.

My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6
    Waxahachie, TX (south of Dallas)

One concern, as I understand it, with the darker colors of quartz is that there more of a chance for mottling. This mottling is from the plaster, and not the aggregate, but because the smaller quartz is less prominent in the Quartz finishes than the larger pebble aggregates, the mottling can show up more. When properly installed, managed at startup and maintained, mottling is not an issue. The install is the key, in any product, from what I've read.

I may be way off, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!