Leaking from filter

Nov 4, 2015
Clinton
Hi, I have a Waterway Top Load Filter (best guess looking at diagrams). No manual for spa. At least 11 years old.
Drained & filled spa. Cleaned filter. Some leaking after cleaning - water coming up around filter cap & lock ring.
Lubed o-rings. Lubed lock ring (not sure if I was to do so). Found spacer ring off to side in body & put back in place, but no clue if correct.
More intense leaking - overflowing from filter area.
Replaced o-rings on air relief plug and lid. Lubed both. Still leaking.
When I turn off the spa, now I hear air being drawn into filter (never before) guessing as water recedes inside.
Inspected for cracks in lid & lock ring and part visible inside body- though that may not mean there is one that my eyes didn't detect.
Also, lock ring will go past locking point (thinking heavy handed husband). Some leaking under hot tub, think it may be from overflow through air vents.
Any guidance on what I might be looking at to repair would be great.
P.S. Is there such a thing as getting too much lube on? Or in places that I shouldn't put it.
Hoping for a DIY fix

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: In hope someone can help get you a good answer, does the following appear to be like the equipment/filter you are having a problem with? Waterway Top Load Filters

The more details (model number, brand, pics, etc) we can get the better.

While I don't have personal experience with this filter, it appears pretty straight-forward from the diagram and what I've seen on-line. If the leaking started after you drained/filled the spa then cleaned the filter, it would be a good assumption something didn't seal correctly during reassembly. The O-ring would be a prime area of interest. Too much lube? Yes, than can happen. Generally only a small amount is required to help the O-ring slip into and/or stay in-place within it's allotted gap. O-rings do go bad over time, so that's always possible. If the filter housing itself is in good shape and not cracked, then it may just be the O-ring or possibly the cap itself that need to be replaced. In case it helps, I did some searching for anything (links) that may help:
Hot Tub Filter Housing Assembly Leak and Crack Repair - Spa Filters CanadaSpa Filters Canada
Waterway Filter Canister Top Loader Specification and Detail - YouTube

Thanks OldPoolMan,
Tried several times without success. Noticed when I was pushing down on the lid to assure a seal (instead of the handle) that it was making a noise similar to when one tests a canning lid to make sure it sealed, thus I think the lid is warped. Pretty sure it hasn't ever been replaced, and I've been in the habit of tapping in down with a rubber mallet - which I probably shouldn't do. When I order a lid, should I order new lock ring too?

I could not see a leak in the body (part 11). If it was the body, wouldn't I be getting a large amount of water leaking from the underside? Hoping the body doesn't need replaced as the way the base is built I'll have to take a whole side out as there isn't access to that side.

Appreciate the advice from both of you.

Thanks OldPoolMan,
Tried several times without success. Noticed when I was pushing down on the lid to assure a seal (instead of the handle) that it was making a noise similar to when one tests a canning lid to make sure it sealed, thus I think the lid is warped. Pretty sure it hasn't ever been replaced, and I've been in the habit of tapping in down with a rubber mallet - which I probably shouldn't do. When I order a lid, should I order new lock ring too?

I could not see a leak in the body (part 11). If it was the body, wouldn't I be getting a large amount of water leaking from the underside? Hoping the body doesn't need replaced as the way the base is built I'll have to take a whole side out as there isn't access to that side.

Appreciate the advice from both of you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.