Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The leaves are out to get me

1. Back To Top    #1

The leaves are out to get me

Ha.

So, we decided to forge ahead with simply keeping the pool open all winter this year. Not so bad, not using much bleach or anything, but holy crackers, the leaves! I feel like I spend half of my life using the leaf rake or sweeping the deck. Those evil things sink to the bottom before I can get them all. On the plus side, it's a good workout using the leaf rake on the deep end.

Here's hoping that a month from now they'll all have fallen! OH, and I can't believe the number of spiders as well. Huge spiders!
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The leaves are out to get me

at my last house it was the pine needles...the standard 1 inchers...all over the pool and they sink fast.
    I was vacumming those up from the floor every week on and off season.
    Glad to be rid of them.

This time at the new place it's the wishbone shaped 4 inch "double needle" ones...I've emptied 3 garbage can size yard debris bins worth in the
    last two weeks alone though we did have a few stormy days.

thankfully they don't sink...but dang if they don't load up quick in the skimmer basket.

sigh and it's a neighbors tree and the branches are way up there....

I can just see it now (next season) floating in the pool, sunny day, then one of those needles falls and pokes my eye! LOL
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow! That is a ton of pine needles! Thankfully we don't have any pines close enough to get any needles in the pool. We have all oak, maple and dogwood leaves.
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I hear ya Wendy. I'm in Montgomery btw! I have a gazillion oaks and pines on city right of way directly behind my house and most hang over my pool. First year we moved in I thought I'd leave the pool open like I did with a previous pool with no trees....OMG....worked me to death. I would never ever recommend a pool around trees...ever! Bought a leaf net so I could still see my water...that didn't work. Trash still fell through the little cracks. Last year finally covered with a tarp. Ugly as heck but I opened to a clean pool. Right now I have a solar cover on pool until it cools down enough to to put tarp on. What a mess on top! I so feel your pain!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

5. Back To Top    #5

Solution: Amazon.com : 20 x 40 ft Rectangle Pool Leaf Cover : Swimming Pool Covers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Mine works awesome. This will make your life easier.
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm with you Wendy,
    My leaves should start falling off my oak tree any day. It will be a twice a day chore for me for a month or so.

Oh well, such is the life of a swimming pool owner.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!