Just bought my first spa :)

May 4, 2015
Waterloo, Ontario
Gents,

I just purchased a used 2009 hydropool self cleaning platinum. Very nice tub and in great condition.

I am looking to replace the ozonator, it had been disconnected by the previous owner and there is no check valve to be seen. This leads me to believe it was pooched and he just disconnected it. Should I be replacing this device or is it not necessary ?

If I do replace it are they interchangeable ? Its a Del SpaEclipse ECS-1 240v/50ma/12w

Another note, this site has been very helpful for my pool and since using the TFP methods my water has been great and easy to maintain. Since this is my first spa I understand they are slightly different for treatment...I went to the dealer close by and they tried to sell me on chems. Can we use similar methods with the spa as we use for the pool ? Also what are thoughts between bromine and chlorine ?

Thanks

If you soak every day or two then chlorine is a better choice. If you don't soak that frequently and especially if you soak infrequently and have an ozonator, then bromine is easier. See the stickies at the top of this forum section for chlorine and bromine.

Most spa ozonators produce 50mg/hr and are interchangeable. Before you replace it, check to make sure it is not working. Most people mistake the ozonator not working when all that is needed is for the injector to be cleaned. With that, delozone makes one of the best units.

Thanks Gents, So I think the bromine will be the better solution for me.

I have a feeling the ozonator is shot, i looks like it has been opened and tested....rusted screws and what looks like water damage to the controls so I think its shot. I noticed that some have a mixing nozzle Page3: http://www.delozone.com/files/4-2122-01_Rev_A.pdf

Mine has been disconnected and it looks like only 1 plastic tube going through the termal insulation to the ozonator jet. Am I missing something or do I just connect the one plastic hose to the ozonator nipple ?

On another note, what is the typical water chemistry to a spa ? Can I have it similar setup to my pool ? See below

Bromine - 2-5
TA - 90-120
PH - 7.2 - 7.8
CH - 200-250
CYA - 40-60

Also when shocking, what PPM level do I bring it up to ? Does this need to be done monthly ?

Thanks for all the help

If this is a used tub (even brand new tubs need this) you need to decontaminate it. Even empty tubs can have residual stagnant water in the pipes which can develop biofilm over funky stuff.

When I want to decontaminate my spa I first fill it up with water and use Ahh-some in there (one tsp per 100 gal) and run it for an hour. That will bring up any gunk to the surface and sides which will need to be wiped out.

Then drain the tub and fill again but this time add enough liquid chlorine to hit 50ppm and let that run through for an hour.

Then drain and refill and this is the water you'll keep so you'll need to treat it with your preferred chemicals.

Ahh-Some Water Cleanser, for pool, hut tub, jet bath, and washing machines

Cheapest source I've found for it is via NewEgg.com

Yes, I already bought some drain prep from a local hydro pool dealer. They said to fill it up, no filter no air bubbles heat the water to at least 95 and pour the drain prep in overnight. Let run overnight, drain and refill this will remove most of the buildup and or bio film. 50ppm seems a bit excessive...why would I need to bring it up so high ? I was thinking shock level of 10ppm would be max....it says not to go higher than that...I was thinking about maybe 20PPM at that is the similar shock level for my pool.

Any other recommendations from used tub experience ?

Thanks,

ok great, thanks for the advice. I have loaded up on some liquid chlorine and spa flush.

I will start the spa flush...the instructions only say let it run overnight. My question is, is there a typical hourly range to run this chemical to clean the pipes ? I want to start it early in the morning...would 12hours do the trick before I start the super chlorination bringing the water up to 50PPM FC.

Thanks,

I can only reply in respect to the use of Ahh-some: I once made the mistake of leaving it in overnight and the gunk that it brought out of the pipes hardened on the sides of the tub and I had to use a *lot* of elbow grease to get it off. So I would not leave that product in overnight. I believe the instructions just call for an hour? Also my tub automatically turns off all the jet circulation after 20 minutes so there is not any way to run it continuously.

In my mind, "overnight" can mean anything about 8 hours..... so starting early in a day would be fine. When it comes to raising the FC to 50, I would only do that for an hour max.

Ok perfect, so after an hour at 50ppm I can just drain and refill ?

On another note, I have never used bromine as a sanitizer but I think I will with this tub, I have read that it is better for skin and less abrasive on equipment and lasts longer...how much truth is in this statement ? I use liquid 12.5% chlorine for the pool in the summer, can I use this for shock at the same time with the bromine tablets in the chlorinator ?

Thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep.

Bromine is not necessarily any better for your skin. The best thing for your skin is a balanced tub, regardless of sanitizer type. Lifetime of equipment is more dependent on the diligence of the owner on water chemistry maintenance than one product over another.

You can certainly use 12.5% liquid to oxidize bromide to convert it back into bromine after you have established your bromide bank. Just be careful with measuring as the 12.5% is potent for a small spa.

ok perfect,
"You can certainly use 12.5% liquid to oxidize bromide to convert it back into bromine after you have established your bromide bank" What do you mean when you say this ?

Does bromine stay in the tub or go dormant ? Chlorine get burned up by UV or consumed by organics...isn't it the same for bromine ?

dirtdog, go read the sticky on using bromine. On a fresh fill, you have to add sodium bromide. Then you add bleach to activate it. The bleach turns the sodium bromide into bromine. Your initial bromide bank stays good in the tub for the duration. You just have to add bleach to keep the sanitizer level to where you want it. I believe that 4-6ppm is the magic number for bromine. Get your self a good titration test kit if you do not already have one.

As Lyd said, it's all there in the sticky. How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)

The hypochlorite in bleach, oxidizes bromide ions in your tub and converts them back into bromine sanitizer. The hypochlorite does not remain in the tub very long as it is consumed converting bromide to bromine. The only time you'd have residual hypochlorite in the tub would be if you added more than needed to oxidize all the bromide, but then if your residual bromide were at 50 ppm and were all converted to bromine, your bromine level would be at 50 ppm with hypochlorite on top of that if you add too much. Not what you want to do for maintenance.

Bromide can decay slowly over time but usually by that time, you've already changed out your water in the tub, which is recommended every 3 months, depending on how well it was maintained and usage amount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.