Everything at zero!

Just moved into a home with a pool. I've read so much trying to educate myself that I'm now utterly confused. Please help me with step by step instructions. Pool is currently extremely green with lots of leaves and debris. Cannot see bottom in deep end. I wish to use the tfp method but unsure what to address first. I believe chlorine is most important but I'm confused about cya. September was the last time we saw the pool crystal clear (prior to moving in). We believe it has been turned off for about 6 weeks. Additionally just had lots of rain if that matters?
I've gotten out as many leaves as I can at this point.
FC 0
PH 6.4
TA 0
TH 0
CYA 0
Thank you very much for this site!

Hugs! We got you covered! Take a deep breath.............let it out slow............here we go.

Step one-----order a good test kit. You are going to need the TF-100XL since your water is green! Look in my siggy for where to buy it.

-Step two-find a easy to get to source for bleach or chlorine (same stuff but different strengths) Some find it at Walmart, some Sams, Costco, etc. Check around for YOUR best bet. Make sure it has a current date code.

-Step three pour a jug of bleach in a day until your test kit gets there.

Kim (I will follow up with your next steps.)

The info at the bottom of our posts. siggy=signature LOL

I will make it even easier for you! Here is a link to the test kits

TFTestkits.net

Make sure to the XL option as you will need to clear your pool.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Run the pump 24/7 for now.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to give you a link to what you are going to do when you get your test kit. It is called a SLAM. It is the best and cheapest way to clear a pool!

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

One other thing you will want to do is take a pic of your steps. Take the pic looking down into the pool at the steps. This will help us and you watch as the water clears. You can use photo bucket or such to load the pics.

Kim

Holding pattern steps while waiting for test kit:

-Run pump 24/7

-Backwash if you see the pressure go 20% over clean pressure for your filter

-Add a jug of bleach a night (adding at night will let the bleach do it's work without the sun taking any of it)

-Read and maybe even print out the SLAM process so you are ready when your test kit gets there.

For right now we will concentrate on getting your pool clear. Once it starts to clear I will move to the "Keep it clear" part of your learning!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

.........disregard :p

Please put your post back! It was a GREAT one from someone that has been there, done that! YOU are someone that help them know it CAN be done when they are ready to throw up their hands!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I forgot the brushing part! Yes, brush your pool at least once a day if not twice if possible.

I did a copy and post of your post for you LOL

"When she says "siggy," she is referring to her "signature" - which is the text at the bottom of her post. Like how on your siggy/signature you give the details about your pool (16 x 32 old inground vinyl liner with wood....).
So yeah, it's the very bottom part her message below the horizontal line.

Anyway there is a link there to the test kit she is referring to: TF-100 (TFTestkits.net)

What I did, when I was where you are a couple months ago... I ran the pump constantly, put bleach in like a son-of-a, brushed the walls and bottom as much as I could and cleaned the filter everyday until the test came. I'm not quite ready to be giving out advice to anyone as I am a new pool owner myself, but I would guess you will instructed to SLAM your pool (Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain "

So THERE! Now you have to help them! LOL

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The bleach should be 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. It should be regular. Don't get scented, outdoor, splashless or other special use bleach.

The numbers posted are likely to be incorrect. Where did they come from?

When you say you "bought tons of bleach", I hope you meant between 15-20 jugs at 121 ounces each, because you will go through them during the SLAM process. Keep the target FC up during the process and brush. It will take several days to see an improvement but it will happen. Good luck and post some pictures as it will help experts here provide more advice.

LOL wait until you start getting "the" look :shock:"Why are you buying all of this bleach?" :slidehalo: "Oh no real reason. Just doing some crime scene cleaning!"

Brain, where is Narchitoches? Can you please list it on your location. It helps us to not have to start over at your first post. I am just happy you found us instead of being pool stored!

Kim

We got ya covered.

Wait for the new kit. The numbers are not reliable.

I can't stress this comment more in this case. I highly doubt that these test results are accurate. I would simply forget you have a pool for now until your test kit arrives and go from there. During this downtime I would at least read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry as this article will at least give you a basic understanding of what your test kit is measuring once it arrives.

10 will get you started. I would just do what others have advised and add 1 jug a day until your kit arrives. Then add to get to your SLAM level based on your CYA number.

Okay everyone.. My test kit came in and what a shocker compared to those strips! Here are my readings:
FC 6
CC .5
TC 6.5
CYA 40
TA 20
CH 75
PH 7.2

Please help! Pool is still very green. I can see the bottom in shallow end (barely) but cannot see bottom of deep end. Thank you Kim for suggesting this test kit!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.