Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everything at zero!

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Everything at zero!

Just moved into a home with a pool. I've read so much trying to educate myself that I'm now utterly confused. Please help me with step by step instructions. Pool is currently extremely green with lots of leaves and debris. Cannot see bottom in deep end. I wish to use the tfp method but unsure what to address first. I believe chlorine is most important but I'm confused about cya. September was the last time we saw the pool crystal clear (prior to moving in). We believe it has been turned off for about 6 weeks. Additionally just had lots of rain if that matters?
    I've gotten out as many leaves as I can at this point.
    FC 0
    PH 6.4
    TA 0
    TH 0
    CYA 0
    Thank you very much for this site!
    16 x 32 inground 23000-gallon, 4 ft shallow going to 8 ft deep, concrete surround, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter (Side Valve) with new valve and sand, New Hayward Super Pump, Inline chlorine tab feeder (not using) TF-100xl test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Everything at zero!

Additionally, we live in Louisiana so plan to keep pool running through winter.
    16 x 32 inground 23000-gallon, 4 ft shallow going to 8 ft deep, concrete surround, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter (Side Valve) with new valve and sand, New Hayward Super Pump, Inline chlorine tab feeder (not using) TF-100xl test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hugs! We got you covered! Take a deep breath.............let it out slow............here we go.

Step one-----order a good test kit. You are going to need the TF-100XL since your water is green! Look in my siggy for where to buy it.

-Step two-find a easy to get to source for bleach or chlorine (same stuff but different strengths) Some find it at Walmart, some Sams, Costco, etc. Check around for YOUR best bet. Make sure it has a current date code.

-Step three pour a jug of bleach in a day until your test kit gets there.

Kim (I will follow up with your next steps.)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you Kim! What is a siggy?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, do I run the pump while waiting for the test kit or just put bleach?

5. Back To Top    #5

The info at the bottom of our posts. siggy=signature LOL

I will make it even easier for you! Here is a link to the test kits

TFTestkits.net

Make sure to the XL option as you will need to clear your pool.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Run the pump 24/7 for now.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to give you a link to what you are going to do when you get your test kit. It is called a SLAM. It is the best and cheapest way to clear a pool!

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

One other thing you will want to do is take a pic of your steps. Take the pic looking down into the pool at the steps. This will help us and you watch as the water clears. You can use photo bucket or such to load the pics.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

.........disregard

7. Back To Top    #7

Holding pattern steps while waiting for test kit:

-Run pump 24/7

-Backwash if you see the pressure go 20% over clean pressure for your filter

-Add a jug of bleach a night (adding at night will let the bleach do it's work without the sun taking any of it)

-Read and maybe even print out the SLAM process so you are ready when your test kit gets there.

For right now we will concentrate on getting your pool clear. Once it starts to clear I will move to the "Keep it clear" part of your learning!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollerprod1 View Post
    .........disregard
    Please put your post back! It was a GREAT one from someone that has been there, done that! YOU are someone that help them know it CAN be done when they are ready to throw up their hands!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I forgot the brushing part! Yes, brush your pool at least once a day if not twice if possible.

8. Back To Top    #8

I did a copy and post of your post for you LOL

"When she says "siggy," she is referring to her "signature" - which is the text at the bottom of her post. Like how on your siggy/signature you give the details about your pool (16 x 32 old inground vinyl liner with wood....).
    So yeah, it's the very bottom part her message below the horizontal line.

Anyway there is a link there to the test kit she is referring to: TF-100 (TFTestkits.net)

What I did, when I was where you are a couple months ago... I ran the pump constantly, put bleach in like a son-of-a, brushed the walls and bottom as much as I could and cleaned the filter everyday until the test came. I'm not quite ready to be giving out advice to anyone as I am a new pool owner myself, but I would guess you will instructed to SLAM your pool (Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain "

So THERE! Now you have to help them! LOL

Kim

9. Back To Top    #9

get the leaves and debris out asap....

A leaf net should be bought if you don't have one.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks to all...this is scary business! According to previous owners they never had even close to correct parameters so they were no help.. I bought tons of bleach at Wal-Mart that is 8.25% Does that sound right?

11. Back To Top    #11

The bleach should be 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. It should be regular. Don't get scented, outdoor, splashless or other special use bleach.

The numbers posted are likely to be incorrect. Where did they come from?

12. Back To Top    #12

The numbers I posted? Came from test trips. Im ordering the better test kit this evening.

13. Back To Top    #13

When you say you "bought tons of bleach", I hope you meant between 15-20 jugs at 121 ounces each, because you will go through them during the SLAM process. Keep the target FC up during the process and brush. It will take several days to see an improvement but it will happen. Good luck and post some pictures as it will help experts here provide more advice.
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

14. Back To Top    #14

Wait for the new kit. The numbers are not reliable.

15. Back To Top    #15

I bought 10. Will pick up more tomorrow.

16. Back To Top    #16

LOL wait until you start getting "the" look "Why are you buying all of this bleach?" "Oh no real reason. Just doing some crime scene cleaning!"

Brain, where is Narchitoches? Can you please list it on your location. It helps us to not have to start over at your first post. I am just happy you found us instead of being pool stored!

Kim

We got ya covered.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Wait for the new kit. The numbers are not reliable.
    I can't stress this comment more in this case. I highly doubt that these test results are accurate. I would simply forget you have a pool for now until your test kit arrives and go from there. During this downtime I would at least read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry as this article will at least give you a basic understanding of what your test kit is measuring once it arrives.

18. Back To Top    #18

10 will get you started. I would just do what others have advised and add 1 jug a day until your kit arrives. Then add to get to your SLAM level based on your CYA number.
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

19. Back To Top    #19

Okay everyone.. My test kit came in and what a shocker compared to those strips! Here are my readings:
    FC 6
    CC .5
    TC 6.5
    CYA 40
    TA 20
    CH 75
    PH 7.2

Please help! Pool is still very green. I can see the bottom in shallow end (barely) but cannot see bottom of deep end. Thank you Kim for suggesting this test kit!

20. Back To Top    #20

Time for a good old fashioned SLAM! Here is a link for how to SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Here is a link for what your SLAM level should be with a CYA of 40 Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast