Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fire pit

1. Back To Top    #1

Fire pit

Hello,

I just had a side yard of pavers installed with a 3 ft wood burning fire pit. Here is my concern. The fire pit is located directly over the pool lines to the pump. The ground was dug out to where the lines are located for draining purposes and filled with small river rocks. Is it safe for the lines to have wood burning fires in the pit? Will the rocks get too hot and damage lines? There is about 3-4 feet of stones. Any experience or recommendations appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fire pit

I have nothing to base this one but.............my gut says NO! This cannot be safe for the pool lines! Time to do some talking to your PB or landscaper about this.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you show a picture? It's hard to visualize what you're describing. But I will say that at no point should any of your underground pool lines been exposed. Once buried they should have stayed that way.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

How deep are the pool pipes to the bottom of the fire pit? I would be worried about heat as well as the ash from the pit sitting on the pipes. I can also tell you that my BBQ pit sits off the ground a good 16 inches but will still get the concrete hot under it.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

5. Back To Top    #5

How isn't this a bad idea? Unless you've got multiple layers of non-conductive material in between, I wouldn't recommend this at all.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Most likely 3-4 feet will be enough to dissipate the heat from damaging your lines, especially if the pump is running because the water will pull any heat away from the lines quickly. It would be much better if you still had 3-4 ft of highly insulating dirt in between, but I doubt you will cause any damage with a small fire.

That said, I'm not an expert and won't be held responsible
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Just line the bottom of the fire pit with fire bricks. Your lines should be buried deep enough. Do you plan on having raging bonfires?

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.