Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC loss in SPA without use

1. Back To Top    #1

FC loss in SPA without use

I've been curious about this......

I thought the only ways to lose FC was via sunlight or organics. However when I re-fill my spa, I add 2 tablespoons of DiChlor to get the FC to 13. Then 5 days later after no use or exposure to sunlight, FC =5.5.

What is consuming the free chlorine? Is it that the fill water has organics in it?
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC loss in SPA without use

Some is lost to natural decay of hypochlorite. The higher temperature of spas contributes to this. Some is also lost to small amounts of organics being introduced even when not in use. 1-2 ppm FC loss per day in a clean spa is very normal.

EDIT:

Ozonators or UV lamps in spas can also contribute to some FC loss.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok that makes sense then. Especially since I have an Ozonator
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

4. Back To Top    #4

Some spa systems allow you to control ozonator run time, some do not. If you have a spa that lets you control run time, setting it to run only after soaks or timing your daily pump cycle times for after when you usually soak can maximize the benefits of an ozonator and limit the extra FC demand.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Ozone and chlorine react with each other to produce oxygen gas and chloride and chlorate. If there is no bather load and no ozonator then chlorine loss will be a lot slower though is dependent on temperature. Chlorine slowly oxidizes CYA in the water and it will slowly outgas.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"