Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water sampling

1. Back To Top    #1

Water sampling

Do yall go back and forth to the pool to get each sample or just fill a larger container with water? I have been going back and forth for each test.
    IG Pebble sheen blue surf approx. 14k gallon, beach entry, 7' spa, 3.5 ton jumping rock/waterfall, Pentair 2hp whisper flo, booster pump, 520 cartridge filter, Stenner Econ T, 400k master temp heater, easy touch controls,TF-100 w/speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water sampling

I use the bottle the pool store provides and get my water sample once. This is particularly handy in the colder winter months!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 250 mL Nalgene bottle that I fill with a pool water sample, bring it inside and do the testing in there, except for CYA testing which has to be done in full sunlight. I also use a 3/4" ID, 4 foot length of PVC and my thumb to draw sample out of the pool from below the surface. Thumb covering the end, push underwater, remove thumb to allow water in the pipe, thumb back over the pipe, then pull the sample out and empty the pipe into the sample bottle. The 4 foot pipe holds plenty to fill the bottle. Hands and arms stay dry doing it that way, which is especially helpful when the pool is cold in the early spring and fall.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I have a 250 mL Nalgene bottle that I fill with a pool water sample, bring it inside and do the testing in there, except for CYA testing which has to be done in full sunlight. I also use a 3/4" length of PVC and my thumb to draw sample out of the pool from below the surface. Thumb covering the end, push underwater, remove thumb to allow water in the pipe, thumb back over the pipe, then pull the sample out and empty the pipe into the sample bottle. The 4 foot pipe holds plenty to fill the bottle. Hands and arms stay dry doing it that way, which is especially helpful when the pool is cold in the early spring and fall.
    good idea! ill have to get me a piece of pvc.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 250 mL Nalgene bottle that I fill with a pool water sample, bring it inside and do the testing in there, except for CYA testing which has to be done in full sunlight. I also use a 3/4" length of PVC and my thumb to draw sample out of the pool from below the surface. Thumb covering the end, push underwater, remove thumb to allow water in the pipe, thumb back over the pipe, then pull the sample out and empty the pipe into the sample bottle. The 4 foot pipe holds plenty to fill the bottle. Hands and arms stay dry doing it that way, which is especially helpful when the pool is cold in the early spring and fall.
    good idea! ill have to get me a piece of pvc.
    IG Pebble sheen blue surf approx. 14k gallon, beach entry, 7' spa, 3.5 ton jumping rock/waterfall, Pentair 2hp whisper flo, booster pump, 520 cartridge filter, Stenner Econ T, 400k master temp heater, easy touch controls,TF-100 w/speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Red Solo Cup. I fill you up!

Holds more than enough water to do all the tests at one time at my kitchen table. I don't test once the winter cover goes on and I won't test until at least Late April next year. Winter cover won't come off until around Memorial Day.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I use a condiment squeeze bottle from the dollar store. It holds enough for all the tests, and as a bonus, the tip comes just to the 25 ml line when inverted in the test cylinde. A dollar well spent!
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

yea i think my days of back and forth to the pool are over lol. Thanks everyone

8. Back To Top    #8

I use a device like this to get a deep water sample -

It's 3/4" diameter PVC ~ 4 ft long with a ball valve and barbed hose adapter (there's a cap on the end but that's just for storage). You insert the open end of tube into the pool with the ball valve closed, open the ball valve until water flows out the top of the barbed fitting, close the ball valve, lift and rotate the open end up out of the water and then open the ball valve over a container to drain the water out of the PVC tube. The amount of water in the tube EXACTLY fills a Leslie's water sample bottle.

This design ensures that I get a water sample from approximately the mid point of my deep end.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a 250 mL Nalgene bottle that I fill with a pool water sample, bring it inside and do the testing in there, except for CYA testing which has to be done in full sunlight. I also use a 3/4" ID, 4 foot length of PVC and my thumb to draw sample out of the pool from below the surface. Thumb covering the end, push underwater, remove thumb to allow water in the pipe, thumb back over the pipe, then pull the sample out and empty the pipe into the sample bottle. The 4 foot pipe holds plenty to fill the bottle. Hands and arms stay dry doing it that way, which is especially helpful when the pool is cold in the early spring and fall.

This is the best idea I've read about in a long time! Thanks for sharing! And JoyfulNoise even improved upon the idea. Thanks you two!
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner