PVC Union mismatch

Mar 25, 2012
I am stuck trying to replace my pump.

I unscrewed a union and need to replace the female side of it. The male side had no room to be saved. A new 2" union I bought does not match the threading.
The existing union manufacture is HydroAir.

What are my options?
Should I cut it off? is .75" enough for a coupler?

Thank you!

View attachment 43752

barely, and it will end your options once you do it.

Why not put a non-schedule 40 coupler on and then a pvc pipe after that? That'll give you the correct depth to set a new union which really should be an inch at least

Why not cut the end off and use an PVC pipe extender? It fits inside the PVC pipe and provides you a proper amount of pipe to glue to. Yes it does reduce the inside diameter of the pipe for a small portion but it shouldn't hamper performance.

JamesW, why the 12HR cure time? Every day I glue PVC together and have a system back running in minutes with no leaks.

My very poorly worded post is saying almost the same as ps0303. Cut the union off, glue on a non-schdule 40 coupler (only needs 5/8) and then glue adequate pipe on the other side of the coupler to accept the new union.

With a full depth glue joint, 10 minutes can be enough. At 3/4" I would wait extra time just to be safe. Probably not necessary, but it gives that extra margin of safety.

Pipe extenders are usually a good fit, but sometimes they can be a little loose. Allowing extra time can help reduce the risk of leaks.

Some unions are abs, which can take longer to get a secure glue joint to pvc.

If someone is not experienced making glue joints, errors in procedure can reduce the quality of the joint.

Waiting extra time always reduces the risk of a leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE:

I hacked off the old half of the union and put a coupler over the 2" pipe. I let it cure overnight and it's held well for the past two days.

I appreciate all the help and advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.